Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Girls, Girls, Girls, Haiti, Dominican Republic

There was a clip on Good Morning America about an upcoming programme tonight. You can travel to Haiti and buy yourself a girl for about $150 (some sellers try to charge up to $10,000) she then becomes your property and they will provide false papers for you to bring her back to the States, or wherever else you live. In fact they said, it is possible to obtain a girl for free. There is so much poverty that families are prepared to part with extra mouths in the belief they will be given a better life than they could at home. Seems like someone should teach these people contraception although I have no doubt they are Catholics. What a horrible thing though. The purchaser owns these girls lock, stock and barrel and can do what he/she likes with her. She is a slave for whatever reason they purchased her. The sellers on the clip admitted they had sold girls before, I bet they don't give the families any of their profits and the poor child is ripped from anything she knows to go to a life of slavery of one kind or another. One's imagination boggles. In the film I saw the buyer suggested he wanted someone 10-12 years, the seller suggested 15 as she would be more developed!!! There are many good things in the world, but there are many horrible and frightening things too. I have been to the Dominican Republic which is right next door and found them to be a beautiful people, I suspect the Haitians are too. They have so much war and the poverty is dreadful. The poverty is pretty bad in the Dominican let alone Haiti. On a trip we were taken to visit two houses, one which was built of corrugated iron and had a mud floor. The wife was making us all coffee (had their own coffee plants) in a Maxwell House coffee can over an open fire. It was delicious coffee mind you. They did have a TV, but as the power tends to be completely intermittent, it probably didn't work very often. The second house we visited was in the town and comparatively quite plush. Still did not have indoor plumbing though. One thing they do have is lots of plants such as bananas, plantains, coconut palms, pineapples, coffee, etc. etc. from which they can feed themselves. I know there are many more, including lots of medicinal plants which are being studied to see exactly what medicinal properties they do have. The plant life is generally lush and tropical although there is a desert area. The picture shows coffee beans. Yesterday was a bowling day for us once again, only two more and then we finish until September. I actually had a 212 game, that is stupendous for me these days. I was thrilled to bits, my first game wasn't bad, my second game was the high score and the third game I dropped 100 points and you would have thought I had never bowled before in my life. What a disaster that game was. This time I am going to give you a chili with no meat in it. This came from Eating Well - Sept/October 1992 and we have eaten it several times with enjoyment. I christened it Chili sans Carne and it wasn't until last night it occurred to me that I was mixing languages. I guess it should be Chili Sin Carne. I have no idea what it was called in the magazine. Chili Sin Carne Serves: 4 Source: Eating Well - Sept/October 1992 1 tbs veg oil 3 onions, chopped 1 carrot, chopped 1 tbs minced jalapeno or chili 2 cloves garlic, minced 3 to 4 tsp chili powder 1 tsp ground cumin 42 oz canned tomatoes plus juice 1 tsp brown sugar 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1/3 cup bulgur wheat 1/2 cup low fat yogurt 1/3 cup chopped green onions 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, jalapenos, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Sauté for 5 to 7 mins, or until the onions and carrots are soft. Add tomatoes with their juice and the sugar; cook for 5 mins over high heat. Stir in beans and bulgur wheat and reduce heat to low. Simmer the chili, uncovered for 15 mins or until thickened. Serve with yogurt, green onions and cilantro or parsley on the side. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder whether any of the girls are bought by people who hope to 'rescue' them and bring them up as free citizens (adopted children) in a happier place; or whether the whole thing just ends up as sick exploitation and abuse from start to end.

    It reminds me of the Hansel & Gretel story, parents abandoning their children in the forest to fend for themselves because the whole family is starving. :(

    Do any of the sons get sold off, or is it only the daughters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't say anything about the boys being sold, only the girls. I don't know if you saw it but there was an ad on my blog saying "Date Dominican Girls" I checked it out, some pretty girls there, but they aren't usually allowed to leave the island.

    As for people hoping to rescue the girls, there may well be, but that is not such sensational news maybe.

    ReplyDelete