Monday, May 28, 2018

Cutting Boards, Bowling, Cleaning, Messy Magic,

Well, I have just learned something new courtesy of World Wide Recipes. Cutting boards have to be oiled periodically or they will dry out. Mineral oil  is recommended. Funnily enough I have a small cutting board which is splitting right now. Checking on it, I now find my larger wooden one is also beginning to split a bit. Mind you I've had them for years.

After today, Monday, the bowling alley will only be open Wednesday and Thursday (and weekends) for the rest of the summer. Our league is, of course, on Wednesday.

Let it be said, I hate cleaning house. Which means that, because of the water used in our toilets, I hate having to forever keep cleaning them. It really tees me off to see all these dirty water streaks which constantly appear. Not only that, I seem to get an accumulation of a sandy like substance in the toilet tank (cistern in England). Not sure if there is a connection, but....

I just bought myself a new ebook by C Lee McKenzie. Her publisher is asking us to pass on the information so here goes. Apart from anything else, gotta be an original story with an alligator familiar!!!

SOME VERY MESSY MEDIEVAL MAGIC

By C. Lee McKenzie

Pete’s stuck in medieval England!

Pete and his friend Weasel thought they’d closed the Time Lock. But a young page from medieval times, Peter of Bramwell, goes missing. His absence during a critical moment will forever alter history unless he’s found.

There’s only one solution - fledgling wizard Pete must take the page’s place. Accompanied by Weasel and Fanon, Pete’s alligator familiar, they travel to 1173 England.

But what if the page remains lost - will Pete know what to do when the critical
moment arrives? Toss in a grumpy Fanon, the duke’s curious niece, a talking horse, and the Circle of Stones and Pete realizes he’s in over his young wizard head yet again...

Release date – May 15, 2018
Juvenile Fiction - Fantasy & Magic/Boys & Men
$13.95 Print ISBN 9781939844460
$3.99 EBook ISBN 9781939844477

C. Lee McKenzie has a background in Linguistics and Inter-Cultural Communication, but these days her greatest passion is writing for young readers. When she’s not writing she’s hiking or traveling or practicing yoga or asking a lot questions about things she still doesn’t understand. http://cleemckenziebooks.com


These are the links.
Kobo
iTunes
Amazon
Kindle
Foyles
Goodreads


I posted this recipe a year ago and have made it at least twice. I decided to make it for last Saturday and I goofed on the amount of horseradish. Thought it was 2 tbs and not sure I didn't put more than that in, can't get a tablespoon into the jar so was using the teaspoon. However, with the extra hot horseradish it was delicious. It is a mistake I will make ever time in future. I do use a really good hot horseradish. When I realised I also added a bit more cream. What, no asparagus recipe you say? They will return sooner than you probably want.

Pork Tenderloin Diablo

"This is a great pork recipe. Mustard is a classic with pork, but when you add the extra zing of horseradish and cayenne, and then smooth it out with a little cream and butter, well, it's devilishly 
delicious."

1 (1 pound) whole pork tenderloin
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs heavy cream
1 Tbs extra-hot prepared horseradish
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbs cold butter
1 tsp chopped fresh chives

1. Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Cook pork until browned on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over pork and transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Cook until pork is browned and still slightly pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Transfer pork to a plate.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Season pork with salt and pepper.

3. Remove any excess oil from the skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Whisk in cream, horseradish, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking until the mixture is reduced to a thick sauce, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cold butter. Stir in chives.

4. Slice pork into 1/2-inch slices and serve topped with sauce.

Servings: 3

Tips
Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.

Author: Chef John
Source: AllRecipes

Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. I've always oiled my cutting boards with a vegetable oil. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. No particular reason other thanI just didn't like the idea of using mineral oil. Seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My source said vegetable oils go rancid Helen. Didn't yours?

      Delete
    2. Didn't notice it but I do/did wipe them over thoroughly with a damp cloth after using them. I've recently switched to the white plastic ones that go through the dishwasher like a dream and now only use the wooden ones for things like bread. No more stale onion and garlic smells which I never seemed to be able to get rid of.

      Delete
    3. And yet they say wooden is best Helen. Guess I won't be changing now anyway.

      Delete
  2. One of the stores I frequent sells a mineral oil for cutting boards. I tend to use a cutting board that is not wood, but I do have a couple. They could probably use an oil massage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have ordered some mineral oil with my grocery order this week Denise. I have one plastic cutting board but all my others are wood.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for helping Lee spread the word.

    My uncle handmade a large cutting board for me and said I had to oil it now and then. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both welcome Diane.

      I sure had never heard of it before. Not sure how much to oil it when I get the oil. Have to Google I guess.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - wooden boards need a little care and attention re oiling - but they're so much better than the plastic ones. Like you we always had wooden boards. Lee's book looks like it'll make an excellent read. Your pork dish sounds delicious - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I never knew that Hilary. It does look like a good read. The pork is well worth a try, delicious.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea wood boards had to be oiled. I don't have any wood though, just those white hard plastic ones and one that's glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only have one plastic one JoJo, but they do say that wood is more hygienic.

      Delete
  6. I knew about oiling the cutting board which is why i don't have one..hahaa Wonderful to support the authors and looking forward to your review. The book sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly didn't Birgit and planning to have a go this weekend. Enjoying the book, not had a lot of time though.

      Delete
  7. I'm playing catch-up again .... and just love this recipe. I like fiery foods and often mix freshly grated horse-radish into English mustard! Suex

    ReplyDelete