Saturday, May 2, 2009

Shoes, Skaters and Bowling

I seem to be the only blogger around this morning and I haven't got a lot to talk about. On the weekend version of GMA today they were talking about the difference in shoe costs. They bought a pair at $600 and another virtually identical at $20. The expensive pair had red soles so they painted the cheaper pair to look the same then they sent twins out in the shoes to walk a mile in Central Park and other such tests. Few people could tell the difference between the shoes. However, when they finally went to a shoe maker who destroyed them, they found the expensive shoe was all leather and the cheap shoe was rubber and plastic etc. Then it turned out that the girl wearing the expensive shoe, wasn't that enthusiastic because it didn't fit her very well, how stupid is that? Of course the shoes won't feel special if they are uncomfortable. I remember my mother buying a pair of Rayne's shoes (at that time they were shoemakers to the Queen) and to me they were horrifically expensive, but they were the most comfortable shoes, in fact my mother eventually gave them to me and I wore them with pleasure. Tomorrow they plan to compare a cheap handbag with a $3,500 one!! Another topic this morning was male figure skaters and how they should look more macho in order to emphasize just how strenuous and difficult the sport is. If people don't realise that they want their heads checked. We have been fans of the sport since we first emigrated and could watch some of the top competitors from our own back yard by visiting local arenas. Unlike how England used to be, there are arenas all over the place here, mainly because of ice hockey of course, but it does mean that people who want to figure skate have plenty of opportunity. I remember in the UK one of Britain's top skaters (Valda Osborn) when I was a young woman, lived in my village, but had to spend her time with her aunt in London in order to be able to skate. If you would like to see video of the segment click here; one skater commented if they wanted more macho they should put to figure skaters on the ice and let them body check each other. I have been trying to put together a bowling team for the Senior Summer Games in June. I need five and have four. Its only a one day event for any team and should be fun. However, getting people to participate is like pulling teeth. I am hoping to get one more person on Monday at the league bowling banquet which takes place at the bowling alley. For some reason many of them think golfing precludes bowling as well!!! Matt will be doing both. Talking of golfing, I managed to sell my clubs on Kijiji so I am most impressed with that web site. If you have something to sell you should check it out. I was sorry to part with them, but I can't use them any more so what's the point of keeping them? Had another interesting recipe from Mushrooms Canada this week, one which I will certainly try. Oven Roasted Mushroom and Vegetable Salad This room temperature salad is also delicious served warm over grilled polenta. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese if desired. 1½ lb. medium fresh Mushrooms, halved 1 large sweet onion, cut in 1/8 thin strips 1/3 cup olive oil, divided 1 medium zucchini 6 fresh plum tomatoes*, seeded and halved 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 2 tsp dried basil leaves 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil 3 cloves garlic, crushed Pinch of hot red pepper flakes 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional) Place mushrooms in a large bowl with onion wedges. Add 4 tbsp olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Arrange in a single layer on large shallow baking pan and roast uncovered on bottom shelf in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes; stir and continue to roast for another 15 –20 minutes. Meanwhile cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then crosswise in 1”(2.5 cm) pieces and place in the same bowl and add tomatoes; toss with remaining olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place tomatoes cut side up on another baking sheet with zucchini and roast in oven with mushrooms for 15-20 minutes or until softened and sizzling. Remove vegetables from oven and spoon into large serving bowl. In measuring cup combine vinegar, basil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and parsley (if not using fresh basil) and pour over warm vegetables. Toss lightly; serve at room temperature as side dish or on grilled polenta for main course. Makes 6 side servings or 4 main course * Substitute 4 ripe medium tomatoes on the vine, quartered for plum tomatoes. Grilled Polenta: Purchase pre-cooked polenta rolls and cut into ½ “(2.5 cm) thick rounds or prepare your favorite polenta and chill until firm in square pan and cut out squares. Brush with olive oil and grill, broil or bake until golden brown. Tip: In barbecue season, place vegetables in shallow metal pans and roast with lid closed. Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Nice video, Jo. Those we;sh guys sure can sing!

    I sympathise with you about the bowls team. I have to cast a Shakespeare play for a reading nect wekk and no one has put their hands up to say they want to participate, I also asked people to let me know if they *didn't* want to participate but no one will admit to that, either!

    BTW, I seemed to have fallen off your list of followers so I've signed on again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Satima. I would join in your reading, I love doing things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing splendidly with your blogging. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marilyn, I enjoy blogging although sometimes I can't think what the devil I am going to write about.

    ReplyDelete