Monday, May 11, 2009

Dim Sum, Mice or Mouses,

We enjoyed our dim sum on Saturday, we certainly had plenty to eat and this time I got a copy of our order so I can know exactly what was ordered. Mind you if Matt and I went on our own, there would be way too much and I am not sure I would know enough to cut some of the items out, so I guess we are stuck going with other people. Such hardship. I must say I am very keen on the Sticky Rice with Pork wrapped in a Lotus Leaf, I thought that was particularly delicious. Matt has made various Chinese Dumplings in the past, I should persuade him to make some more. Although our local supermarket does dim sum in the freezer deparmtent. They are nothing like from the restaurant, but they aren't bad. I think anyway, Matt doesn't like them. We then went to The Source (used to be Radio Shack) and bought me a Microsoft optical mouse. What a relief when I plugged it in. Having used the ball style mouse for 24 hours, it was like the difference between a prop plane and a high speed jet. It wasn't the cheapest mouse available, but it has a good name. There was actually one mouse under $10 but who knows how long it would last. I was offered cordless too, but I have heard bad reports so stuck to a good old USB mouse. Tell me, do you know, what is the plural of mouse in this case? We were joking about it in the store. It absolutely chucked it down on Saturday morning, we had to wait in the car for a while for it to ease off before going into the restaurant. By the time we came out again it had cleared up and was bright and sunny and basically stayed that way for the rest of the day. Same on Sunday although it wasn't warm enough to be outside. Today is the first day of Summer League bowling - we didn't bowl seriously last Monday so it feels like forever since we bowled. I haven't tried this yet, but I thought it looked good. For some reason I didn't make a note of the source. I suspect it was Eating Well as I have been getting a lot of recipes from there lately. By the way, if you are looking for asparagus recipes, try my blogs around this time last year when I published a new asparagus recipe practically every day. Asparagus and Cheese Omelette Wrap 2 eggs 1 Tbs water 1 tsp chipotle purée (optional) 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbs chopped fresh chives or green onions 1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar or smoked mozzarella 3 spears asparagus, trimmed, cooked and diced 1 10 inch whole wheat flour tortilla 1 Beat eggs lightly with water, salt and chipotles. 2 Heat oil in a 10 inch nonstick skillet and add eggs. When eggs start to set, swish them around so that the unset top rotates to the bottom. Sprinkle with chives, cheese and asparagus. Cook a minute longer, just until cheese starts to melt. 3 Meanwhile, warm and soften torilla in a skillet (about 1 minute) or microwave about 10 seconds, or wrap in foil and heat in a 300°F oven for 10 minutes. Slide the omelette onto the tortilla and roll up. Cut in half on the diagonal for a sandwich or in slices for appetizers. Servings: 1 These are great for a breakfast or brunch sandwich. You can make them ahead and wrap in foil and reheat in the oven, or you can slice them for little appetizers and serve hot or cold. Asparagus is a good low calorie source of folate and vitamin C; six spears contain 100 migrograms of folate, 25% of your recommended dietary allowance, as well as 20 milligrams of vitamin C - all for only 25 calories. Asparagus also contains fibre, important antioxidants and is a useful source of B6 and potassium Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Jo -- What is a chipotle?

    Anyway, you are killing me with these wonderful recipes of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a very hot pepper. I think its a smoked chili if I am not mistaken.

    How can I be killing you if you aren't cooking them???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong, its a smoke dried jalapeno pepper used primarily in Mexican food and bloody hot.

    ReplyDelete