Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Balcony Door, Online Shopping, Oiling,

Some time ago, not sure exactly when, but before they did the balconies, I put in a work order about the screen door into our balcony which wouldn't slide properly, didn't keep the bugs out very well either. The Superintendent at the time came up to look and said I needed a new screen. A week or two back I submitted a reminder work order. Guess what, today, Tuesday, they are installing a brand new balcony door and screen. Nice to get some return on one's rent. Now if they could just fix the kitchen floor. I do hope that doesn't take over two years. So we have had the air conditioner going full blast and the doors wide open!!!

I went to the store before they came and picked up my order. I have discovered a new problem, the girl who 'picks' the stuff is tending to think that I have ordered the wrong thing and she is replacing with what I have had before.  Like grape tomatoes, I ordered a smaller box because we had some left and she subbed a larger one. Couple of other things too. Nothing serious but means I have to take them back and change them. When I order smaller things I will have to add notes to the fact that that is what I really want. Still very pleased with the system though.

Bought myself some mineral oil so the next thing I have to do is thoroughly clean my cutting boards and spoons etc. and then oil them and leave them over night.

We are due to get our VCR back today. One of the bowling alley owners had lent us one yesterday and I didn't want to install it without checking on ours. Really nice of him to let us use it though. They really are a wonderful family. Got our own back this afternoon all installed and working.

This is one of our favourite recipes which we have been making every year since I discovered farm fresh asparagus. I freeze it in ice trays and then put into a plastic bag. Keeps very well.

Asparagus Pesto Toasts

1 lb trimmed green asparagus
1 cup toasted walnut halves (I used pecans)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper

1. Cook asparagus until just tender. Refresh in cold water, then drain and dry well. Place asparagus, walnuts, garlic and salt in food  processor. Process until blended.

2. With motor running, gradually add olive oil, then add cheese and pepper. Blend together and check seasoning. Place in covered bowl.

3. It shows the recipe served on crunchy toasted French or Italian bread with a curl or two of parmesan on top and some asparagus at the side.

4. We freeze this in ice cube trays, then wrap the cubes in pairs (separated by Saran, and put in a bag in the freezer until we need them.

Source: Food & Drink

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. That's a long time waiting for a screen door though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex, but they couldn't do anything whilst the balconies were being rebuilt. However, they did have time before that work started. Anyway, it's done now.

      Delete
  2. Glad you finally got your screen door! Hope they get to your kitchen floor soon.

    Nice that you can order your groceries and have them delivered. It's such a help not having to trudge to the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Michael.

      No they don't deliver, but they put them in the trunk for you. The rest you have to do for yourself.

      Delete
  3. I wondered how those services are that pick the food for you at the store. There were ads listed looking for people to work in that capacity. Could be interesting to shop for others, as long as one stayed within the list provided.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pesto sounds really great. I would have to eliminate the nuts though. So you did the ordering online and they delivered? Our store has that too but I don't trust anyone to select good produce, meat and dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They certainly took their time with the door, didn’t they. I hope the kitchen is dealt with faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for the screen door! Why would that girl change things up? Regardless, it seems to be working for you and that us what counts. How is your new balcony by the way?

    ReplyDelete