Thursday, May 24, 2018

Accident, Bowling, Thor: Ragnarok

Our cleaner arrived this morning visibly upset. Turned out that she had had very little sleep and that her daughter had run into the back of another car, totalling the cleaner's car. She was driving a rental this morning. I didn't realise at first, daughter is a learner and mother was along for the practice. Not sure how that works in Canada never been a learner over here. Apparently the police took their own sweet time coming, nobody hurt, so they had to sit there with cars almost swiping them for a couple of hours. She finally called them again and said how dangerous it was where they were. Then they came. An accident is bad enough without extra hassle.

Bowling today, didn't bowl too badly - nor did Matt. However, we were against a team with several top notch players, talk about loaded, so we didn't win a single point.

I just watched a DVD of Thor, Ragnarok. What a long movie, I was getting a tad tired of it in some places. Seemed to go on forever. I did enjoy it though but think they could have shortened it somewhat. I don't think I will be watching it again before I return it to the library.

Being flush with asparagus at the moment, I have been looking at recipes. I must say, I had completely forgotten this one. I do agree with the comment at the end about using asparagus as much as possible while it is in season.

Asparagus and Shrimp Paté

2 lb (1 kg) shrimp, shelled
½ cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
3 Tbs (45 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped garlic
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tbs (25 mL) chopped parsley
1 egg
1 egg white
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lb (500 g) medium-size asparagus spears, blanched
Garnish
Fresh tarragon
Lemon slices, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

2. Combine shrimp, green onions, vinegar, garlic, tarragon and parsley in a food processor. Process until mixture is just combined. While machine is running, add egg, egg white and cream. Stop machine immediately. Mixture should have a little bit of texture left. Season well with salt and pepper.

3. Lay a third of shrimp mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Add a layer of asparagus trimmed to fit pan. If asparagus is too short then add a second piece as well. Add second layer of shrimp mixture and another layer of asparagus. Finish with remaining shrimp mixture.

4. Place loaf pan into a second slightly bigger pan. Fill larger pan with boiling water halfway up loaf pan. Cover loaf pan with a piece of buttered parchment paper and cover tightly with foil.

5. Bake for 55 minutes or until white juices begin to rise and pâté is cooked through in the middle. Cool in pan and pour off any liquid that has gathered. Turn out on to a rectangular plate and decorate with fresh tarragon and lemon slices, if desired.

Servings: 10

Tips
Asparagus, when in season, deserves to be used as much as possible. Combining it with a shrimp purée makes an outstanding pate. To blanch asparagus, toss into a pot of boiling water, bring back to the boil, drain well, and run under cold water.

Author: Lucy Waverman
Source: Food and Drink

Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. They sure did take their good old sweet time!

    Ah Thor, so hunky. I could watch for hours, even with the volume turned down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chris Hemsworth's voice Liz, very sexy.

      Yes, I was disgusted at 2 hours.

      Delete
  2. The police didn't come right away? That's just wrong.
    All of the Marvel movies are long. I still really enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Alex.

      I don't remember the others being this long, nor getting antsy about how long it was. Maybe I will try it again before I return it. I loved the stone men with the Aussie accents.

      Delete
  3. I once broke down in the left breakdown lane of a highway at rush hour. A Tacoma cop came creeping along w/ traffic and didn't even stop or make eye contact with me. I was waiting for the tow truck. It was right on a curve of the highway too and I was so afraid I was gonna get hit. I was so angry. I knew that even if I put my window down to try and get his attention he'd just say it was a state highway and out of his jurisdiction and I'd have to wait for the state patrol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of 'em just don't seem to care JoJo. My cleaner was very upset and hadn't had much sleep the previous night either.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - accidents always shake one up ... poor woman - I hope they can all sort things out and her daughter doesn't 'suffer' too much. Glad the bowling was ok ... and enjoy the asparagus while it's here - I got some yesterday ... but of the down south brand! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do Hilary. Sorry your spears came from dahn sahth, not the same as the totally fresh local stuff. Would have thought there would be an asparagus farm or farmers market near you.

      Delete
  5. That poor lady...I know how that feels since I was in an accident in jan. The cops taking that long is insane! Were they too settled at Timmy's with their coffee and donoughts? Is that the first film with Thor? I think it is and yes, it is long, they all are but I found it entertaining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt so sorry for both she and her daughter. I don't know if it is the first film Birgit, I didn't find any of the others too long, maybe it was because it was late and Matt had already gone to bed, it just seemed to go on forever.

      Delete
  6. I think the best thing about Thor was the Led Zeppelin music. My husband loves those movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotto and I would get on well Pinky. Wouldn't know Led Zeppelin music if I fell over it I'm afraid.

      Delete