Saturday, January 16, 2016

Saturday Recipe

For some time I have wanted a cheat recipe for Vietnamese Pho or Beef Noodle Soup. This sounds like it would be a good one, I found it on My Recipes. The real recipes call for baking and boiling beef bones etc. I am afraid I can no longer be bothered to do that. Knorr make an excellent beef broth in jell form.



Vietnamese Beef-Noodle Soup with Asian Greens

Introduce your taste buds to Vietnamese cuisine with this quick and easy soup. The rich broth, aromatic herbs, and tender steak will leave you wanting more.
  • Yield: 4 servings
 

Ingredients

  • 1 (8-ounce) sirloin steak
  • 4 ounces uncooked wide rice stick noodles
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 2 cardamom pods
  • 2 garlic cloves, halved
  • 1 (3-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
  • 1 star anise
  • 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 4 cups baby bok choy leaves
  • 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
  • 1 small fresh Thai chile, thinly sliced into rings
  • 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 4 lime wedges

Preparation

1. Freeze beef for 10 minutes; cut across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
3. Place onion and next 5 ingredients (through star anise) in a large saucepan; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Strain broth mixture though a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to pan. Add soy sauce, sugar, and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Add bok choy and snow peas; simmer 4 minutes or until peas are crisp-tender and bok choy wilts.
4. Arrange 1/2 cup noodles into each of 4 large bowls. Divide raw beef and chile slices evenly among bowls. Ladle about 1 2/3 cups hot soup over each serving (broth will cook beef). Top each serving with 1/4 cup bean sprouts, 1 tablespoon basil, and 1 tablespoon mint. Serve with lime wedges.

Have a great weekend

12 comments:

  1. I've never had Pho. I'm not a fan of steak although I assume the steak would be nice and tender after cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely tender JoJo. I have never had Pho with steak in it before. Not that I remember anyway.

      Delete
  2. Who would boil bones when it's already been done for you? I think Scotto would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time I might have, but nowadays, old age is creeping on and all that. So make it for him Pinky.

      Delete
  3. This is a shock...I am not a soup person. People are always amazed that I don't have soup unless I am sick and then it is chicken noodle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Birgit. I love soups, especially Hot and Sour which I could eat until the cows come home (except I guess I couldn't really I would get bored with it). Nothing wrong with chicken noodle.

      Delete
  4. I think I could make this without the noodles, still on the Paleo Diet. I am sure it smells divine as it's simmering on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it would be fine without the noodles Natasha. I just looked up the Paleo diet. Do you find it working and healthy for you?

      Delete
  5. Jo:

    Do you have an easy potato, cabbage and carrot soup recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly Shelly, but this one at Allrecipes sounds good and pretty simple. It's more or less what I would have done if I had those ingredients handy. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/182112/carrot-potato-and-cabbage-soup/

      Delete
  6. Jo, we're hosting Chinese exchange students later this month and this recipe looks like a real winner. Thanks and I'm bookmarking this for when they come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no Stephen. I would probably want to give them Western food. How long are you hosting them?

      Delete