Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Blender, Earrings, Cell Phone, Hip

Monday was really not my day, apart from my hip woes, in the evening I wanted to blend something with my Moulinex hand blender and it fell apart. I have had it for over 40 years so I guess I can't complain. I discovered I could order a replacement on line to pick up from a local store so I did that. Quite a snazzy version after the one I did have. My old one did not have the extra chopper attachment.  Matt picked it up from the store for me Tuesday morning and now I am busting to use the chopper part. But for what? Can't think of anything right now.

I think I mentioned that I had ordered some earrings for Matt to
give me for Christmas. They arrived the other day, Friday I think, and are very pretty. Quite long. I guess I am a sucker for earrings and I couldn't think of anything else I wanted - well not within our price range anyway. Lots of things, like electronics, outside our price range of course. A new, up to date, computer would be nice for a start, then a new laptop, then..... The list goes on. Once one is into this kind of thing it becomes an expensive hobby. I don't have a smart phone either. Honestly don't need it and although I had a more up to date cell phone before, Matt hadn't a clue how to use it. Not a technology person, my husband. We have a very simple cell phone which he can manage. I like him to carry it whenever he goes out alone  because of all the TIAs he had a year or two back.

To all of you who have been nagging urging me to see the doctor about my hip, I did so on Tuesday afternoon and she sent me for an Xray which I also did so now all I have to do is wait for results. I still forgot to take a pic of the damned snowman though. Wish I hadn't mentioned it.

Now this one is quick and easy and looks different.

Deep Fried Poached Egg Over Heirloom Tomato

Recipe courtesy of Claire Robinson
Serves 4


Ingredients

4 large eggs, whole, plus 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cups panko breadcrumbs
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
7 to 8 cups vegetable oil
1 large heirloom tomato, cut into 4 thick slices

Directions

Prepare a bowl with ice and water. Line a sheet pan with paper towels.

In a 5-quart pot, bring 6 cups water to a boil over moderately-high heat. After the water has reached a boil, turn off the heat. Crack each egg into a ramekin and quickly add to the water. Once you have added all the eggs, cover the pot and set aside for 3 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, very carefully lift the eggs out of the water and directly into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Remove from the ice water and place on the prepared sheet pan.

Spread the flour on a plate and put the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, stir the panko with salt and pepper.

Carefully dust 1 poached egg in the flour, dusting off any excess. Transfer the poached egg to the beaten eggs, and then transfer with a slotted spoon to the panko. Coat with the panko and carefully place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over high heat until a candy thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Using a slotted spoon, place 1 panko-coated egg into the oil and fry until golden brown, 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer the fried egg to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining eggs.

Season the tomato with salt and pepper. Place 1 tomato slice on each plate and top each slice with an egg.

BYOC: Try this in early spring over some steamed asparagus. You can always add some fresh spinach to this for a crunch. Add the whole thing over a nice thick piece of crusty bread or English muffin for a fun brunch item.



Have a great day
 

26 comments:

  1. Missed the picture taking, I say draw one. :)
    40 years is a long time for a mixer, and the earrings are lovely. I got an Amazon Fire for Christmas - my first new gadget in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't draw worth a damn Yolanda. I have a Kindle but it was one of the originals.

      Delete
  2. Aw, so we miss the Ninja snowman. Maybe there'll be another one seeing your weather is still sub zero. You'll love your new mixer for sure and those earrings are so cute. I love my smart phone...onto my second one. I do so much on it...as well as what it's actually for (ringing people and sending/receiving messages and IMs)...most of my emailing, read blogs/comment, take pictures, do FB and Instagram and Twitter...and just everything. Saves me turning on the laptop every day.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may still be there Denise. I look forward to using the mixer. I do so wish I still had a smart phone, it was so easy to take pix for a start. However, I can't really justify having two cell phones.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - glad the blender's been replaced; love the ear-rings - well worth waiting for and now enjoying. Interesting what Denise says about her Smart phone ... better try to do a bit more ...

    Those eggs sound delicious .. take care and hope the hip Xray resolves what needs to be done .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I wish I still had a Smart phone, but not really worth it for us.

      I hope it does too.

      Delete
  4. I have so much jewelry I really should start selling it. I did sell a lot of my gold jewelry that I wasn't wearing, but the reality is that I almost never wear any of it anymore. Your earrings are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sell a lot of my good stuff when gold prices were so high. These are nice, but don't compare with what I did have Denise. I basically only wear earrings these days and the occasional rings.

      Delete
  5. Love the earrings. My husband would agree with you about the smart phone but I do find it useful like today when I had a thirty minute wait at the doctor's and was able to read a book on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Not me that is against the Smart Phone LOL. I never take my Kindle to the docs as Matt is always with me so I feel I am excluding him if I read.

      Delete
  6. That was an interesting recipe; I wouldn't have thought of deep frying a poached egg. Pretty earrings :) I have a smart phone and 2 years later, it is still smarter than me, but had to get it since we were updating our plan and everyone needed to be with a smart phone to get the best plan.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Betty. They are pretty aren't they? Smart Phones are pretty expensive to run here even if you know how to use them. The cheapest plan I could get was $25 a month with no internet access. Not really worth it.

      Delete
  7. Never thought you could do that with eggs. Now I'm tempted to try it. I hope the xrays yield results that are workable. Happy New Year, Jo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me David, I would have thought they would have gone hard being double cooked like that. Thanks and Happy New Year and a new job for you.

      Delete
  8. No Ninja snowman picture???
    Hope it's good news about your hip.
    And forty years is a long time for an appliance. We have a microwave that's almost that old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Alex, I'm sorry.
      So do I.
      It is a long time. Hope the new one does as well. Not that I will know anything about it.

      Delete
  9. Hope the xray doesn't show anything major. My husband finally has a smartphone and he's getting used to it. He constantly amuses my children by using it. I could use a new mixer. Mine just isn't up to some of the jobs I have for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susan. Matt is totally not into anything like that. We have the simplest possible cell phone and he still has trouble with it. These things do wear out although my hand mixer did a sterling job.

      Delete
  10. That egg recipe sounds AWESOME! Not sure I could do it w/o breaking the yolk all over the place though. I've never made a poached egg. I hope you get good news about your hip!! And LOVE the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poached eggs are very easy JoJo. Never were my favourites though. I am not quite clear whether this recipe expects you to cook the eggs in the ramekins. I have always just dropped eggs into boiling water which has a little vinegar added to it.

      I hope so too, and glad you like the earrings. I certainly do.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jo,

    I hope you get your hip problems sorted out with a positive conclusion What's a cell phone? Anything like a mobile phone?

    Wish I like poached eggs, but I don't.

    Take care, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes Gary, that's exactly what it is. A Smart Phone or just a simple phone like we have.

      Actually, I am not keen on poached eggs, but I suspect these, being deep fried, will turn out pretty tasty.

      Delete
  12. They just don't make electric appliances like they did 40 years ago. What a brilliant little machine it was! I have a smart phone (not an iPhone) but it's not smart. In fact it's very stupid and doesn't work half the time. Love the earrings Jo. You are a lady with impeccable taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or anything else much Pinky. Mind you this new gadget seems pretty solid. Our phone is simplicity itself. Thank you ma'am, I do my best.

      Delete
  13. Hi, Jo,

    Happy new year! Sorry to hear about your hip issues. Hope it resolves itself as pain free as possible...

    I LOVE my electronics and have an iPhone and Macbook. They are already a few years old, BUT I will keep them until they are a breath short of death. LOL. Pricey items for sure....

    Lovely earrings... they'll look great on you!

    Take care and all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I hope so too.

      I would love to get another phone, but can't justify it for me alone.

      I think they do look good LOL. All the best to you too. I could use your talents designing the interior of our place.

      Delete