Monday, November 3, 2014

Weekend, Aerial Spelunking?

2014-11-02 22.42.11We have a couple of places in the dining area with lots of silver and glasses and periodically we have to strip off the lot and polish the silver, wash the glasses and the ornaments, etc. It’s a thankless job but one I prefer we do as our cleaner tends to be a bit of a2014-11-02 22.42.48 breaker plus it takes a long time and she wouldn’t have time to do anything else. It isn’t helped by back pains either, we have to take breaks periodically.  So we did one set on Saturday and the others on Sunday. We also have a few odd bits of silver scattered around the room which have to be done too. Luckily these days I have a product which lasts for ages so we don’t have to do it so often. At times like this I think “why the devil don’t I get rid of some of this stuff”? In fact I did get rid of some a couple of years ago but Kung Pao Chickenobviously not enough. Anyway, the upshot of this was that I figured we deserved something special for dinner on Saturday night so I made Kung Pao Chicken, the lighter version which I posted a while back. It is very good and we both enjoy it. I serve it with plain rice but one could also serve it with noodles. This is it cooking in the pan. This time I had all the ingredients and I increased the amount of snow peas which we both like. With a nice Pinot Grigio it went down very well. It calls for minced ginger from a jar, never come across that, but I keep fresh ginger in the freezer and it doesn’t take a minute to grate what I need.

I just got this photo from T + L Transporter. They send out some interesting things,Balloonist but this one I was astounded by: Earlier this fall, an Austrian pilot completed the world’s first underground hot air balloon flight, steering a smaller-than-normal balloon through Croatia’s 675-foot-deep Mamet Cave. In my opinion, the Austrian pilot is nuts. I am not sure I would go down there under any conditions. Spelunkers have always seemed somewhat foolhardy to me. I don’t have claustrophobia but I don’t think I would be happy in some of those underground caves they explore. Although I watch film of spelunking with interest.

I haven’t eaten a baked apple in years, I don’t remember the last one. I used to quite enjoy them, but nowadays I don’t eat apples of any kind much. Not my favourite fruit. However, this does appeal and I might have a go.

Easy Baked Apples

WebMD Recipe
Easy Baked Apples
 
 
 
 
 

 
Ingredients
  • 1 apple, green or red
  • 1 tablespoon softened butter, or canola margarine
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, or walnuts
Instructions
  1. Remove the core of the apple with an apple corer and slice 1/4 inch off of the apple bottom (to make a flat bottom). Place apple upright in a microwave-safe soup or salad bowl.
  2. Blend 1 tablespoon of softened butter or canola margarine, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 3 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts together in a custard cup.
  3. Fill the core of the apple with the mixture (there is enough to fill 3 apples). Cover apple with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH until apple is tender (about 3 minutes).
Have a great day
Jo










30 comments:

  1. The kids have been on vacation for the last two weeks and my house is a zen nightmare. I really need to throw out some old stuff. And now I'm so hungry for Kung Pao Chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I do not have that problem.

      Do try the chicken, it's a very easy recipe.

      Delete
  2. I think spelunkers are nuts too. No way you'd get me into those extreme caves! That apple recipe looks so good. Might need to get a corer now. Of course I'd make mine w/o the nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just?

      It does look good doesn't it? Allergic to nuts?

      Delete
  3. Hi, Jo. That Kung Pao Chicken looks good. I've tried some of those jarred garlics and some taste watery or just too strong to eat in anything. I'd rather use fresh. That Easy Baked Apple also looks good. Will have to make them some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried jarred garlic and didn't like it, but I have never heard of or seen jarred ginger.

      Delete
    2. Jo - I've seen jarred ginger. Look for it with the international foods. At our local Kroger's, they have it with all the other stuff at the sushi station.

      Delete
    3. It may not be available here, in Canada. I am quite happy with my fresh ginger anyway.

      Delete
  4. Someone piloted a balloon through the caves? That is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly?

      Was looking at pix of you and I last night and realizing how much slimmer I am these days. Not as slim as you though, sigh.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - well done on cleaning the two cabinets ... better we do our own isn't it. Spelunking doesn't thrill me to try ..

    I love baked apples - but they have to be Bramleys ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hils, it's quite a job. No I wouldn't spelunk either.

      We can't get Bramleys though.

      Delete
  6. Kung Pao Chicken is my favorite Chinese dish.
    No way I'm going through caverns in a balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried this recipe Alex, you should.

      Nor me.

      Delete
  7. Wifey loves Kung Pao Chicken. I'll use this recipe to make it for her at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy to do and delicious to eat.

      Delete
  8. I too will pass on hot air ballooning through a cave. That baked apple looks fantastic. The only problem? No apple corer. But I do have a very clean screwdriver (kidding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a very brave bunch are we? Apple corers are 10 a penny. I think I have two. I'd lend you one, but.......

      Delete
  9. When I was a little girl, both of my grandmas hired me to do the shelf dusting. I was never a rambunctious kid, so spending whole days polishing knick knacks and what nots was right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine why (the cave ballooning). Dark and dank and then there is always the danger that you could be down there forever. Is it the adrenalin rush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume it is the adrenalin rush. I don't mind doing without it.

      Delete
  11. Spelunking is the stuff of nightmares to me. One word... bats. I don't think I'd like ballooning full stop really. That apple looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bats don't worry me, but I would not like going so far below ground.

      Do you have real "cooking" apples in Oz.? Bramleys.

      Delete
  12. Hi Jo! I hate back issues and cleaning - long story. I use a rolling cart and a sitting stool stored underneath. Where I go gets cleaned, happily. No balloons under any circumstances, though I love to watch the festival in NC every year. Nice recipe - I use Jasmine rice - adds sweetness when snow peas can be bitter at times. Love apples - taking the recipe with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. I have a cleaner who comes in once a month as I am no longer able to do a lot of the stuff any more. I like the idea of a rolling cart.

      There is a balloon place near hear and we often see balloons flying past, sometimes quite close to us. But from all I have heard, it's not for me.

      Do you live in NC? We used to for 12 years. Love it there.

      Tried Jasmine rice once, hubby not too keen.

      Delete
  13. Yum on the snow peas. Those are not fresh where I live at the moment, but when they are in season, I can gobble them all up.

    ReplyDelete