Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Vitamins, Prize.

BiotinI mentioned a while back that I had started taking B7 for my nails (sold as Biotin) and it does seem to be working, they are much stronger than the were. Then all I needed to deal with was that some of them were flaking which is why I started making smoothies containing leafy vegetables. Tuesday, I went to the pharmacy to get some more pills, they didn’t have any and nobody was very helpful about it either. I then went to the pharmacy in the grocery store, no luck there either. Finally I came home, somewhat teed off and managed to order some on line from Well.ca. Not earth shattering but somewhat irritating nevertheless. Does make me wonder if all these nail problems are to do with age or with the hundreds of pills I seem to take these days.

I mentioned I had won the prize of the day on M. Pax’s Realms FairDragon of the Stars by Alex J Cavanaughe on Monday,  so I spent a fair bit of time downloading three of Mary Pax’s audiobooks which were part of the prize. I am also due for a book from Alex R. Cavenaugh who, knowing I have all three of his Cassa books, offered me a review copy of his new book Dragon of the Stars. I am really happy with that. I get some ‘swag’ from him too I gather.  There are some other books I am getting as well but haven’t yet. I had an email offering me a choice of two formats. I wasn’t sure but I would prefer to read it on Kindle. I thought that was mobi but I gather it isn’t having looked it up.

I’m back to shrimp again. At least one friend is allergic, sorry about that, I love the stuff.

Creamy Fettuccine with Shrimp and Bacon



A dish of shrimp sautéed in bacon drippings and tossed with fettuccine sounds like a no-no for the calorie conscious. But at under 400 calories a serving, indulge!
Worthy of a special occasion
:
8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups pasta and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley)
Ingredients
1 pound uncooked fettuccine 
2 bacon slices (uncooked) 
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup shredded carrot
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided

Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; keep warm.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.
Add shrimp and garlic to pan; sauté over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Add peas and carrot; cook 2 minutes or just until shrimp are done. Transfer shrimp mixture to a large bowl; keep warm.
Combine milk, flour, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove pan from heat; add cheese, stirring until blended. Add milk mixture to shrimp mixture; stir until combined. Add pasta and 1/4 cup parsley, tossing gently to coat. Transfer pasta mixture to a platter, or divide evenly among each of 8 plates; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup parsley and crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

18 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful prize from M.Pax - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it and I just got one of the other books this morning - Thanmir War Loni Townsend

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - good prizes and I think it's Mobi - but I too need to remember and check as I've some to collect. Glad the nails are improving .. jelly or gelatin is good too ...

    Love fettucine and this mix of shrimp with bacon ... and I'd eat it with spinach ... a meal in one! Delicious sounding .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly got the book in Kindle form this morning so that was fine. I know jelly is good, when I was still in the UK I used make myself one ever day from gelatine and orange squash. No orange squash here.

      Good idea to add the spinach.

      Delete
  3. My nails are hard as rocks. I have a hard time cutting them sometimes! Looks like you have some great new books to start reading too! Congrats!!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky JoJo, mine used to split all the time. Better now though.

      Yup, looking forward to reading them.

      Delete
  4. When I complained to my doctor that I was losing my eyebrows, she told me to get used to the idea of aging. I only take two medications that have no effect on this so I am stuck with getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was going to be around when these kind of things happened to my doctor.

      Delete
  5. Mine peel like that when I am in water too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to have them in water too often and do dishes with gloves on.

      Delete
  6. I've always had flaky nails but now they're ridged and horrible looking. I've been taking a multivitamin and iron for months. The only difference I've noticed is that they're a bit pinker because I've had the iron. Perhaps I should try Biotin. Have a great day Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take a multivitamin but it didn't do anything for my nails. The best I ever had, nail wise, was when I ate a jelly every day. However, the Biotin, or Vitamin B7, seems to be working. And more leafy greens for the flaking. Great day to you too Michelle.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on all the fun winnings!
    I'm glad to know about B7/Biotin. My nails need strengthening.Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did reply to this but it got lost in Cyber space I guess. Thanks for the congratulations and I hope the Biotin helps your nails too Robyn.

      Delete