Friday, November 28, 2014

Travel League Lunch and Bowling.

I am delighted to say that the snow held off and we were able to make it to Elmira on Thursday for lunch and then bowling. It was snowing pretty hard when we left the alley, but it didn’t last long. Lunch Carrot Cakewas pretty good, I decided to go for the buffet for a change and ate a little turkey in honour of the American Thanksgiving. Actually there was some cranberry chicken which tasted better. I also, of course, had some mincemeat tart with cream and a small spoonful of rice pudding which wasn’t bad. Needless to say, I bought a couple of mince tarts before we ate and was tempted by a carrot cake which looked fabulous. Whilst we were paying for our meal afterward, I couldn’t stand the way the carrot cake kept pleading for me to take it home, so I did. It is now resting in the freezer along with the mince tarts. I convinced one friend to buy a mince tart too, I hope they enjoy it although he has eaten it at the restaurant. They had apple dumplings and bread pudding with caramel sauce. I had to resist both of those. There were several other delightful looking items such as Mississippi Mud Pie but I didn’t try those either. The cake in the picture is frozen already so I guess it is not looking it’s best. Some of the icing had got pulled off by the lid so I took it off and fixed it. I accidentally got some on my finger and it was deeeeelicious. No really it was an accident.

Then on to the bowling alley. I had one really good game and two moderately good. Poor Matt had a bad day on all three games. After all that lunch we had donuts as usual and we both ate one, good friend said she had had too much dessert and was full.

Friday is another day for my exercise class. I am quite enjoying these at the moment. I am hoping all the movement for both hip and shoulder will help – so far, I think it is doing so. Getting old is really for the pits you know. Mind you one of the people we bowl with has Pins and Ballsjust turned 90 and he is pretty fit. The woman who was somewhat older has quit bowling for now, pity as she really loved to bowl. Talking of bowling, Matt is 80 next February and I am toying with the idea of throwing a bowling party in the downstairs alley where they can do “Cosmic” bowling, flashing lights and stuff. Never actually seen it in action. Thought it might be fun. It will be a surprise and shouldn’t be too difficult to do because we bowl on a Thursday afternoon anyway. Have to talk to the owners of the alley, don't know how this works yet.

To late for Thanksgiving, but this recipe can be used any time I guess. I am not sure I would add the sugar, but would taste it first I think. I also might use regular milk, depending on my mood.

Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Mash

Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Mash
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

The addition of delicious sweet potatoes gives a nutrient boost to mashed potatoes. Double it: Cook the potatoes in a Dutch oven rather than a large saucepan.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3/4 tablespoons salt
  • 1/4 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
Instructions
  1. Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
  2. Drain the potatoes, then mash them in the pot to the desired consistency. Place milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave on High until the butter is mostly melted and the milk is warm, 30 to 40 seconds. (Alternatively, place in a small saucepan and heat over medium until the milk is warm.) Stir the milk mixture, sugar, salt and pepper into the mashed potatoes until combined.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. I have the same problem, my fingers always get stuck in cake icing. ;) Cosmic bowling sounds fun, though I bet the lights make it harder to throw straight. If I were playing, I'm pretty sure my ball would end up in the wrong lane! The Cranberry chicken sounds yummy. My mother got me hooked on cooking with cranberry, it really does give a nice sweet flavor to meats. They are great to add in meat balls. Thanks for the sweet potato mash, my father loves sweet potato, I'll have to pass on the recipe to him. Hope you had a fun day bowling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know how it works Elise, but you are probably right about the lights making it harder. It was good, the cranberry. Hope your dad enjoys the mash.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - that seems like a fun idea for Matt's birthday .. and not having to travel makes some sense! Glad you had a good day though and the snow held off .. now you're stocked with cakes etc .. icing is always delicious ... I love mash .. and sweet potatoes are always good .. though when I get in an Aga house .. I bake them!! Have a good weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will work. I was so happy to be able to go out yesterday although thought we were in trouble on the way home, but it stopped quickly. Matt not too keen on sweet potatoes but he might like this mash. Haven't used an Aga in years, parents used to have one. You have a good weekend too Hilary.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - Any day I can have Carrot Cake is a good day. I wish I had the eye-hand coordination to bowl - sounds like so much fun. I might be tempted to make potato cakes from this recipe. Glad your day turned out so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Dixie, I love carrot cake. You should try bowling, it is fun.

      Potato cakes sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  4. I love carrot cake too although I've never attempted to make one. That cosmic bowl sounds really cool! I might actually try bowling again if I could go to one of those. Cranberries are a staple around here....since they grow all over the place. I grew up across the street from a bog and my husband worked on bogs for extra money when he was a kid and teen. I like the jellied sauce and I make a great cranberry bread and am going to try a cranberry streudel pie soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me JoJo. I avoid things these days although buying one has the same result on one's figure I guess. I've never done cosmic bowling either so it will be new to me too. There are cranberry bogs in Ontario too, we were going to visit one but they had a festival and we couldn't park. Your cranberry bread sounds good and so does the streudel pie.

      Delete
  5. I can resist desserts. It's the cheese platter that gets to me. A ninety year old bowler is very impressive! I think that sounds like a great idea for Matt's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can and do resist both otherwise I wouldn't have lost 43 lbs and kept it off for a couple of years. However, I do allow myself to have something now and again. I enjoy cheese too but it is a tad heavy on calories. Not the oldest bowler I know/knew. One woman was 97 and bowling up to the last. Her sister recently quit at 73 although she is still alive.

      I hope it will work for a birthday party.

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to remember but I don't think I've ever tasted any dish with both potatoes and sugar in it. Good idea of a party for Matt. And I do admire elders past 70 that keep fit and moving. They are an example and inspiration for so many!
    Dragon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I have dragon. As I said, I would probably leave it out. I went to my exercise class again today, Oops, should have updated?

      Abrazos.

      Delete
  7. The Cosmic Bowling party sounds like a great idea for your hubby! Yukon Gold are my favorite, and I love the idea of combining them with sweet potatoes! I agree that they should be flavorful enough without the brown sugar.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, what a fun post. Lots going on and 90, that is amazing and wonderful. I love to read stuff like this.

    All your pastry sounds good too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy.

      Going to try the carrot cake tonight.

      Delete