Tuesday, November 4, 2014

God Save the Queens.

This picture and subject appeared in my inbox this morning from Travel and Leisure. Bearing in mind how pro conservation I am, I thought I would share it with you.

God Save the Queens
Lionnesses

A proposal to add the African lion to the U.S. list of endangered species was made last week. American hunters are responsible for the most lion killings every year, though loss of the animal’s habitat to development and agriculture are also to blame. Bearing in mind that over 50% of the world’s wildlife has disappeared in recent years, I hope everyone will support this proposal. I am totally unable to understand people who want to kill animals just for the sake of doing so and showing the world how clever they are. Many of the animals they shoot have been set up for the kill anyway.

Bowling was good this Monday. My average increased by one point, better than last week when it went down 3 points.

We have been doing a vegetarian version of stuffed endive leaves for a number of years, which oddly enough, I find I have never shared on this blog, but these came from Mushrooms Canada and I thought would be good.

Beef Mushroom Endive Taco Boats

Beef Mushroom Endive Tacoby The Primal Desire


Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
6 large white or brown mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 red onion (finely chopped - ¼ cup put aside for salsa)
1 red chilli pepper (finely diced)
2 cloves garlic
3 heaping Tbsp taco seasoning (homemade or Paleo variety)
4-6 endives (leaves separated from base)
1 cup cherry tomatoes (finely chopped)
2-3 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
optional:
½ - 1 can black olives (chopped)
shredded aged cheddar or crumbled blue cheese (if lacto-paleo)
Pineapple Salsa
1½ cups pineapple (about ½ a pineapple - finely chopped)
¼ cup red onion (finely diced - from above)
1-2 Tbsp cilantro (diced)
1 avocado (cubed, salted and coated in lime juice)
Method
Pineapple Avocado Salsa (make this in advance so that flavors can blend):

1. Mix ¼ cup finely chopped red onion with pineapple, cilantro, and avocado.
2. Place in fridge until needed.
Endive Boats:
1. In a large frying pan or pot, melt ghee or butter over medium heat.
2. Add remaining onions and mushrooms, cooking until soft.
3. Add chilli, garlic and beef, stirring well to break up ground beef.
4. Once browned, mix in taco seasoning and olives.
5. Fill each endive leaf with ground beef/mushroom mixture.
6. If using cheese, sprinkle each endive.
7. Serve with pineapple salsa and cherry tomatoes to be spooned on top.
Tip
This is great with aged cheddar or even blue cheese if you eat lacto-paleo. If not, it's still a really nice balance of flavors to share with everyone!

Have a great day
Jo

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - definitely save the lions .. we are destroying too much of our natural world. Why people want to kill for trophy sake I don't understand, though where the bush is curtailed by human habitation .. some culling is necessary.

    Endive boats .. those sound good .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Destroying 50% of wildlife is a lot more than culling.

      Must post the recipe for the one's we have been doing for a long time.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo; I'm visiting via Arlee's blog, "Tossing it out." Wanted to have a look, and what a nice place you have here! Ironically I also thought Lee was going to write about the Acropolis - a bucket list visit for me. Almost ready!
    I'm anti-hunting anything unless it is for food. Don't recall a request for lion burgers.
    Bowling - oh dear- I'm lousy but a good sport about it; last game was avg. 46. LOL.
    I'm glad you shared this recipe. A neighbor shut in made a request and this will be the big surprise - I'm drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to visit Dixie. Do visit Athens, it's a lovely city. I love Greece anyway.

      Me too. No I have never heard of someone asking for a lion burger either.

      But I assume you are talking 10 pin. We do 5 pin which is only in Canada.

      Glad you are going to make the recipe for your neighbor. Nice to help.

      Delete
    2. I ended up with extra salsa. Mixed it with some cream cheese. Made a very tasty spread for buttery crackers - I used "Captain's Wafers". Might have to make more for the holiday crowd. This was so good - thank you.

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea. Sounds like it was delicious.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize that lions weren't already on the least. It's terrible to see such amazing animals killed just for "fun". It makes me so angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no. I recently saw a picture of some woman standing with one foot on her kill looking as though she was a big game hunter. Made me so mad.

      Delete
  4. Taco boats! That's just a fun word to say.
    Considering the lion is one of the most plentiful large cats in the world, that's sad they would have to go on the endangered species list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grin.

      I guess it isn't one of the most plentiful any more Alex.

      Delete
  5. I hate trophy hunting. :( My husband and his family are hunters and fishermen but it was always for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like another commenter said, people don't ask for lion burgers.

      Delete
  6. Food looks good and congrats on the bowling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't understand people killing animals for no reason either. It's dreadful. I don't even like zoos for similar reasons but I suppose unless the world gets its act together zoos might end up being the only place the animals will exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like zoos because at least they give us a chance to see these animals and learn what we would lose if we weren't careful. Not only that, they are great for conservation. As you say, soon it may be the only place they will exist.

      Delete