Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for Uakari and Udon Noodle Soup.

U
The Uakari are a genus of monkeys in the New World. They are unusual in that their tails are Uakari_maleshorter than their bodies and their heads are bald. They have no subcutaneous fat so that their faces basically look like skulls. The four species of uakari currently recognized are all found in the north-western Amazon Basin. They are lethargic in zoos, but in the wild are noisy and extremely active being very good jumpers, leaping over 6 meters. This would argue that keeping them in zoos is not a good idea although it does assist preservation and conservation as well as the ability to study the animal.

This is a recipe for soup from Food.com, however the picture does not include any shrimp, but it was the closest I could find and I think this soup would look very similar.

Udon Noodle Soup With Chicken and Shrimp


By Abby Girl on July 29, 2007
Servings: 6
 

About This Recipe

"This soup is fast, easy and delicious. The bean sprouts wChicken Noodle Soupill store longer if placed in water in the fridge"
 

Ingredients

    • 4 ounces chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, diced ( about 1 breast)
    • 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
    • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    • 6 cups chicken stock ( or beef)
    • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 6 ounces udon noodles, fresh
    • 2 cups bok choy, sliced
    • 1/2 cup snow peas, sliced
    • 4 ounces shrimp, peeled and devined, chopped
    • 1 cup bean sprouts
    • 2 large green onions, chopped

    Garnish

    • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
    • 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Directions

  1. In a large wok or large saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, cook chicken over medium high heat for 4 minutes or until meat is barely cooked.
  2. Add gingerroot and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Set aside.
  3. In a large saucepan, bring stock and soy sauce to a boil. Add udon noodles; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high; cook for 4 minutes or until noodles are tender.
  4. Add bok choy, snow peas and shrimp; cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and snow peas are tender crisp.
  5. Add chicken, bean sprouts, and green onions; cook until heated through. Serve soup drizzled with sesame oil and sprinkled with parsley.
Have a great day
Jo (2)

22 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - interesting to read about the Uakari - I just hope their habitat survives and they can live in the wild. The Udon Noodle soup sounds good and as you say quick and easy to make ... served with some fresh bread would be a delicious meal ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are destroying habitats so fast these days, there is no telling.

      I love noodle soups.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. It is a pity we have to keep any animals in zoos to preserve their numbers. My first thought about the Uakari and the Amazon was fear for the loss of jungle. That saddens me even more than zoos.



    http://ceciliaaclark.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loss of jungle is a serous matter I agree. It won't just the Uakari we lose if the jungle disappears.

      Delete
  3. I recognise the Uakari but didn't know the name; I hadn't heard of Udon Noodles either,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognised them too Bob when I was researching.

      We have a strong Asian influence here and can find Udon noodles in many places in our grocery stores.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting monkey. I had never heard of it.

    Thanks for the tip on bean sprouts. They sure go off quickly. I will try that next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting isn't it?

      I know what you mean about the bean sprouts. This should work OK.

      Delete
  5. The soup sounds like something I might have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odd looking monkeys.
    The soup sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look like walking skulls don't they?

      Yup, it's on my to make list after the A to Z.

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of the Uakari before! (http://www.reflectionsenroute.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are odd monkees. I hate that we have animals in zoos but I think we are doing better at creating better habitats within zoos.
    It does help preservation.
    Itisso cold here today, I may have to give that soup a try. Minus the shrimp, I'm allergic.
    doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was young, all animals in zoos were kept in very small cages or enclosures. As you say, things have improved these days.

      You could try it with chicken.

      Delete
  9. I agree with Doreen, but I don't know what the right answer is. Some zoos are wonderful in the space and environment they provide. Soup sounds great since I am trying gluten free. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are much better in zoos nowadays, but maybe not for the Uakari.

      Hope the soup turns out well.

      Delete
  10. Well great minds again. I think this is one cool looking monkey. That soup sounds awesome.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously great minds Brandon.

      Should be awesome.

      Delete
  11. I also posted about monkeys today. What a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete