When we lived in the Carolinas we used to see lots of Juncos at our birdfeeder. At first sight they were not a particularly special bird, but when you watch them long enough they are fascinating and I particularly loved their white feathered tails. Dark-eyed Juncos are neat, even flashy little sparrows that flit about forest floors of the western mountains and Canada, then flood the rest of North America for winter. They’re easy to recognize by their crisp (though extremely variable) markings and the bright white tail feathers they habitually flash in flight. One of the most abundant forest birds of North America, you’ll see juncos on woodland walks as well as in flocks at your feeders or on the ground beneath them. I always figured the tail design would be great for a skirt, panels of slate grey and white.
Not a good visiting day for me yesterday, life got in the way, well bowling of course. Hope to catch up today.
This sounded like a good fusion of east and west cuisines from Food and Wine. Togarashi is like a chili pepper.
Japanese PizzaContributed by Grant Achatz
- 2 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms—stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- 5 ounces firm tofu, sliced
- 2 teaspoons unagi sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup shelled edamame
- 5 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup soy bean sprouts
- Kosher salt
- Togarashi and toasted white and black sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- 1 cup large bonito flakes
- 6 shiso leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375º. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms and soy sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the oils. Press the rice into the skillet, about 1/4 inch thick. Cook over moderately high heat until the bottom is golden, 10 minutes. Top with the tofu in a single layer and drizzle with unagi sauce. Top with the shiitake, edamame, cheese and bean sprouts and season with salt. Sprinkle with togarashi and sesame seeds.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake on the top shelf for 15 minutes, until the top is golden. Slide the pizza onto a platter; top with the bonito, shiso and cilantro and serve.
Have a great day