For the bobotie: 1kg minced lamb 125ml milk 1 thick slice of white bread, crust removed and soaked in milk 2 roughly chopped onions Butter Salt 1 tablespoon curry powder 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional and only if you like your food quite hot) 1/2 cup vinegar 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon chutney 8 - 10 crushed almonds (optional) 3 eggs 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped 6 bay leaves 1 orange, sliced in wheels 1 lemon, sliced in wheels Oil for cooking
For the yellow rice: 2 cups rice 3/4 cups raisins, soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained 1 teaspoon turmeric Dash of salt 2 sticks cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion and curry powder.
- Cook over medium heat for three minutes, then add the minced meat.
- Fry until the meat is almost done, then using your hands, squeeze the milk from the bread.
- Discard the milk and add the bread, vinegar, lemon juice
, sugar and chutney to the mince.
- Fry for a minute or so and then remove from heat.
- Take a pie dish and place three bay leaves, two wheels of orange and two wheels of lemon at the bottom.
- Now scoop the mince mixture into the dish.
- Decorate the sides of the dish with the rest of the lemon and orange wheels, wedging them between the mince and the sides of the dish so that only a third protrudes.
- If you like using almonds, push them into the mince.
- Beat the eggs and 125ml milk and pour over the meat.
- Put three bay leaves on top of the milk mixture.
- Place the dish uncovered in the oven and cook for 30 minutes at 160ºC.
- Serve with a plain green salad or chopped tomato, fresh chilli and onion, sprinkle with a little vinegar.
- Serve bobotie hot with the yellow rice.
The yellow rice:
- Place all the ingredients, including the raisins in about 750ml water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If there is still excess water in the pot when the rice is tender, pour it out carefully.
- Dot the rice with a few blobs of butter and give it a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
- Cover and keep warm.