Thursday, September 3, 2020

Errands, Debit Cards, Instant Pot Cake, Surgeon's Visit,

Just a quickie again I'm afraid. Had a lousy night last night so want to try and make up for it. At 6 a.m. I was in extreme pain with gout and couldn't sleep any more. Must talk to the doc about it as it seems to have got a lot worse lately.

I'm pleased to say I got the rest of my errands done today and the fizz is no longer stuck in the car. I went to Victoria St. Market first to get me some sausages and 2 bananas!! Also bought some of their pre-packed coleslaw and unfortunately bought some chips which I did NOT need.

Then went to Home Hardware where they sell the bags for my under sink garbage. When I got there I noticed they cut keys. Ladydog and I had discussed giving Kathy a key and she said she would get one cut. I phoned her when I was outside the hardware store and she had forgotten. Tut, tut. So I got one cut whilst there. Also got rid of some batteries there too.

Next the bank about our debit cards. They gave me a new one. Didn't both about Matt, he would have to go in and he never goes anywhere to spend anything anyway.

When I got home, I had lost the bill from VSM so went on line to get the total from the bank. Couldn't get in to the bank, have a new debit card number which I totally forgot, duuh.

I have an appointment to see the vascular surgeon on Thursday, don't know why I never thought of it, but one of the Geriatric Workers called me today and reminded me I could get a ride from Community Support connections. Thought I was too late, but they found me someone to give me a ride there and back. Much easier as it is always lousy parking there. Ladydog is kindly going to stay with Matt again. She is bringing lunch as well, she has forgiven Subways for now!!

Hm, wasn't so quick after all.

Found a recipe, which I haven't yet copied, for making a chocolate cake in the Instant Pot. Don't think I would be able to do so in my small pot though. Interesting.Of course, I love chocolate anything.

Instant Pot Chocolate Cake

¾ cup flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
½ cup white sugar
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
½ cup melted butter
½ cup milk
3 whisked eggs
Powdered sugar to decorate

1. Carefully line 6 inch cake form with parchment paper (also on its sides).

2. In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt.

3. Add melted butter, eggs, milk and vanilla extract and mix.

4. Pour the batter into your cake tin.

5. Cover with foil.

6. Pour water (1cup) into your Instant Pot and place the trivet correctly.

7. Place your cake tin onto the trivet.

8. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.

9. When cooking time ends, wait for a natural pressure release.

10. Remove the foil and let your cake cool for about 20 minutes before slicing it.

11. Sprinkle each slice with powdered sugar and enjoy!

Servings: 8

Tips
If you haven’t used the Instant Pot for baking before, make sure to check these tips out (in fact, I think that the more experienced IP bakers should also give these rules a peak):

Don’t forget the liquid – the rule remains the same – your pot needs liquid to build up pressure. Otherwise, you’ll either get an error message or you’ll wait forever to see the pot build pressure.

Use a 6-inch cake form lined with parchment paper – to get a fluffy and soft cake, it’s important to place the batter in a cake form that you previously lined with parchment paper. The form will be placed on the trivet (one of the IP standard accessories) which will be placed in the inner pot. The trivet is important because it keeps the cake form from touching the liquid and it will allow you to get the pan out once the cooking is done (without burning your fingers).

Let the pressure release naturally – I know it’s difficult to wait when you can already feel the smell of chocolate goodness but, believe me, it’s worth it! If you release the steam too quickly (using the Quick Release function), you may end up with a flat cake. This can happen because the pot uses steam to heat up and raise the batter.

Let the cake cool down – I’m sure you already know this, but I want to make sure. The cake needs to cool down before you can add frosting or any other topping.

You can add a dash of espresso powder to make the richness of the chocolate really pop. However, make sure to not overdo it if you’re baking this for kids.

Quick tip: if you don’t have a 6-inch cake form, you can find one in the nearest supermarket or online store.




Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. Good luck at the surgeon. It is excellent that you don't have to drive - and, as usual, hooray for ladydog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Sue. Ladydog thought of it first. She is going to crochet whilst she stays with Matt.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - well a few more things sorted out ... and I hope you've had an easier sleep ... and that the doctor's visit proves helpful. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly Hilary. Hoping I will get a date for my operation. Was up too early again this morning.

      Delete
  3. There were days in my not too distant past when a quickie was something else entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know with gout that are you supposed to avoid red meats, organ meats and alcohol among other things - like sweets and chips. Getting gold sucks sometimes, but we have to make choices to make it more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do know. I eat none of that very often. I do drink of course. Yes getting old sucks. I always though only old men who drank bottles of poft got gout. I have given up port 3which I enjoy now and again.

      Delete