Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Wedding Watchers' Party, Bowling, Fracture Clinic, Easter,

Today, at the bowling alley, a friend asked me about English cookies etc. or things she could take to a wedding party (i.e. watching Prince Harry plight his troth) my first thought was Scotch Eggs, but she was thinking more of things like shortbread which is British if not English. Not being a maker of cookies I couldn't really think of totally English biscuits. She talked about blueberry scones and I said blueberries were not very English. I just googled and apparently they are fast becoming the number one berry on sale in Britain. The wedding isn't til mid May so I suppose I have time to think of something. I did some Googling and came across a few English things here. The Maids of Honour shown here are something I think of as typically English as are ginger biscuits or Brandy Snaps which I always loved as a kid.

I was very disappointed in myself, I had two very good games at bowling today and then messed up the last one. My average went up from 152.4 to 152.6 - not enough. However, the team did take all 7 points which was the best we have done in a while. I keep telling myself to stop bothering about my average, but I guess I'm not listening too well.

Tuesday we have to go to the Fracture Clinic. I suspect this will be the last time. In fact Matt was walking better today than he has been for a while.

Easter is nearly here and I used always to make my own Hot Cross Buns, a traditional food for Good Friday. I regret to say I haven't made them in a while. When we were in North Carolina I couldn't get candied peel which, to me, is an essential ingredient, so I didn't make them, and when we returned to Canada I guess I was too lazy to mess around with yeast. Today I bought some from the bakery where I buy regular buns, having tried a taste, they seemed very similar to me although the cross was made of icing which is not traditional by any means. However, I thought I would post the recipe I used to make.

Hot Cross Buns

12 oz plain (all purpose) flour
good pinch salt
1 oz butter
4 oz dried fruit
2 oz candied peel
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 oz yeast *
approx 7 fl. oz tepid water, milk and water or milk
1-2 oz sugar
1 oz sugar for glaze
1 Tbs water

1. * If using dried yeast mix with the sugar and a little tepid liquid. Allow to stand in warm place until soft - approximately 20 minutes, then cream. Continue after this as for fresh yeast.

2. The spice should be sieved with the flour. Cream the yeast with 1 tsp of sugar. Add tepid liquid and a sprinkling of flour. Put into a warm place until the 'sponge' breaks through. Meanwhile sieve flour and salt into a warm bowl, rub in butter and add sugar, fruit and peel. When ready, work in yeast liquid and knead thoroughly. Put into a warm place for approximately 1 hour or until the dough is double its original size. Form into round buns, 'prove' for 15 minutes on warm tray. Before doing this the buns should be marked. Do this with the back of a knife or by cutting thin strips of pastry and arranging on the top. Bake for 10 minutes near the middle of a very hot oven 425°F. If buns are to be eaten straightaway, mix 1 oz sugar and 1 tbs water and glaze with this. If, as so often happens, they are to be warmed again on Good Friday, make up glaze and brush after re-heating.

Source: Cookery in Colour

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. It's interesting because things change with what's popular and what comes and goes in baking.

    Sorry about your last game.

    Hot Cross buns look dang good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly true Ivy. Well at least my average went up a tiny bit!!

      They are. Warm with butter. Yum.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize the wedding was coming up so fast! Are crumpets considered English cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me JoJo. No crumpets are not cookies. Biscuits in England are the same as cookies here.

      Delete
  3. I loved hot cross buns in the days before sugar became my enemy. Now all I can do is look at them longingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can eat sugary things now and again Helen. One on Good Friday would be OK surely?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Didn't think of them Sue but as I never really ate them much if at all it's not surprising.

      Delete