Saturday, March 24, 2018

Saturday Recipe

This a a perfect way to serve lamb for Easter. I will be using leg as that's what I have. This looks absolutely delicious to me.

Slow-Roasted Shoulder of Lamb with Roasted Garlic

This recipe was inspired by a meal I had in Rome. Lamb shoulder is often overlooked in favour of lamb legs when it comes to roasting. The shoulder, however, is more succulent with a full flavour. I slow-roast it to get the maximum texture and taste and serve it slightly pink. Because the shoulder is uneven some pieces will be better done. I prefer not to roll the shoulder after boning as it cuts more evenly when it is laid flat. Used as a thickener, arrowroot does not give the glossy look of cornstarch,
so I prefer it. However, it can be harder to find than cornstarch which is an adequate if not perfect substitute.

1 lamb shoulder, 4 lbs (2 kg) boned
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 Tbs (25 mL) chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbs (25 mL) olive oil
6 bulbs of garlic, top quarter removed
GRAVY
½ cup (125 mL) red wine
2 cups (500 mL) beef or chicken stock
1 Tbs (15 mL) redcurrant jelly
1 Tbs (15 mL) arrowroot or cornstarch
1 Tbs (15 mL) water

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).

2. Rub lamb with salt, pepper and rosemary and drizzle with olive oil. Place in an oiled baking dish and set in oven. Immediately turn heat to 275°F (140°C) and bake for 1 hour.Add garlic bulbs, baste and bake for another 1½ hours or until slightly pink inside. Turn garlic over after 1 hour. Reserve garlic bulbs to serve with lamb. Let lamb rest for 15 minutes while making sauce.

3. Skim fat from roasting pan, reserving juices in roasting pan to make gravy. Add wine to pan, bring to boil and reduce until almost disappeared. Add stock and lamb juice and reduce by half. Stir in red currant jelly and bring to boil. If sauce is too thin then mix together arrowroot and water and stir into sauce and bring back to boil. Serve lamb with gravy and roasted garlic bulbs.

Servings: 6
Yield: 6 to 8


Author: Lucy Waverman
Source: LCBO Food and Drink

Have a great weekend
 

10 comments:

  1. That lamb looks delicious. I'm sure your Easter dinner will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of cooking it at the lower temp. I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cookbook from way, way back Denise. First one I ever had, and they suggested cooking at lower temps then. Never have done so, maybe it's time I did

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - in England we'd have lamb and often shoulder ... I think depending on numbers ... but it is a delicious 'cut'. I'm not sure what we'll have here ... I wait and see - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if I have ever eaten shoulder Hilary, probably at some time in my life. Right now I have leg in my freezer which is what I will use for Easter. You will probably have ham, very popular at Easter here.

      Delete
  4. That looks so yummy. Good lamb is so expensive in England and I really don't know why. We 'grow' lambs here ... in Kent near Romney marshes for goodness sake. We rarely eat lamb in England but when in Fuerteventura its a regular treat as its very competitively priced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy Australian/NZ lamb Sue, not local. That too is very expensive here. Lamb is expensive anyway as most Canadians, North Americans, don't really enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had lamb since I was a kid...never liked it. Right now on FB one of my friends, who lives in Kentucky, is eating 'lamb fries' which is something I would definitely never eat! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we used to eat it a lot in the UK although apparently it is very expensive these days JoJo. Mandarin are offering lamb as their Easter special. Not sure what lamb fries are.

      Delete