Thursday, March 15, 2018

RIP, March Break, Schedule Change,

I was sad to hear of the passing of Stephen Hawking yesterday, he was a brilliant physicist. One of the greatest brains of our century. What an incredible life to be told you have ALS (familiarly known as Lou Gehrig's disease) when you are 21 and that you only have 2-3  years to live and then living to 76. What a conquest. I have the movie The Theory of Everything which I enjoy watching now and again. He will be much missed in the scientific world as well as by his family. I didn't remember that Wednesday was pi day. Rather a fitting date for a scientist to die. In case you aren't aware, pi day is 3.14 or March 14th. He had a wonderful sense of humour, physicists usually do.  My first husband was a physicist and he certainly had a great sense of humour and he was the first to tell me that it runs with the job. I have certainly observed this to be so and Stephen Hawking was no exception. His classic was that he gave a party for time travellers and nobody came.

So, I went to exercise class at 1 and before I went I emailed the bowling alley to be sure they had a lane for us, we aren't regulars on Wednesdays, much to my disappointment I got a reply that because of March Break (March madness they said) it would be impossible. I had forgotten that all the schools are closed this week. However, they have saved a lane for us on Thursday.

For various reasons our cleaner is going to be starting at 8:30 a.m. which doesn't make me happy. Not that I am not up and around, but we usually don't get dressed that quickly, especially me as I am on the computer for a while in the mornings. Oh well, I guess I will just have to get used to it.

This seems like a simple and healthy pasta. Although I forgot to get mushrooms on Tuesday, duuh. I do have leeks though.

One-Pot Mushroom and Leek Pasta
Recipe Courtesy of Living Lou
Prep Time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 17 min. | Serves: 4

 
Ingredients
2 tbsp salted butter
2-227g/8oz pkg. sliced button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
3 cups water
3/4 cup 10% cream
375g/13oz whole wheat linguine pasta
3/4 tsp salt
½ tsp chili flakes
1 cup frozen peas

Method
1. Heat an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and mushrooms, cook stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook another minute.
3. Increase heat to high, add leek, water, cream, pasta, salt and chili flakes. Bring to a boil and cook ten to twelve minutes, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Stir in frozen peas and cook for another minute. Serve immediately.
Source: Mushrooms Canada.

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. Hi JO - Stephen Hawking was an incredible man - he'll inspire so many for many years ahead, while his knowledge and ideas he left will be an enormous resource for many ... a great physicist, cosmologist and educator. Pasta is always good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Hilary.

      Pasta is certainly good.

      Delete
  2. That was remarkable that Wednesday was Pi Day - also Albert Einstein's birthday. (Which is why it's Pi Day.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was the 3.14 more than Einstein, Alex. But it is a coincidence all round.

      Delete
  3. I got such a kick out of Stephen Hawking's appearances and/or phone calls on Big Bang Theory. He was sooo funny! That recipe looks so good. I'm definitely going to need to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the movie The Theory of Everything, JoJo? It tells of his early life and is interesting. He did have a fantastic sense of humour.

      Delete
  4. Is there no other cleaner that you can hire, since, they work for you and should be at your time. Not at theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Ivy because she is an assisted cleaner, i.e. I get her for a reduced rate. I could kick up a fuss I guess, but it's actually not that serious. Now 8 would have been a different matter.

      Delete