Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Guns and Poison, Bowling, Eel Smuggling

I was wondering what to write about until I saw the news. Specifically about the gun lobby and the
poisoning of an ex Russian spy and his daughter. I do not understand the attitude of the American government or many of the American people. It seems perfectly alright for a kid to go buy an assault weapon and shoot other kids. For God's sake, how many kids do you want to lose this way? The Trump government seem to be pussyfooting around the issue and he has backpedaled since talking to the NRA changing what he previously had said about age restrictions. If I were an American I would be totally teed off with what is going on.

Then it appears that Russia and Putin are trying to go back to the old cold war days when people were bumped off all the time. Putin is ex KGB which makes me personally distrust him anyway and now it appears that the poisoning which took place in the UK was achieved with a high grade military poison which could only be authorised at the very top.

Slightly better news for me personally, I bowled really well today. It only increased my average by .4 but at least it was an increase. I actually bowled a 160 average today and thought that would increase my season average a bit more but it didn't. As yet, I don't know what my two rivals achieved. Will find out on either Wednesday or definitely Thursday.

Will it ever stop, people smuggling and causing critical shortages in the areas from which they smuggle. It it isn't illegal ivory it is tiger or other exotic animal parts. Now, apparently the baby European glass eel (an elver) is being smuggled from European waters to be grown in fish farms in other parts of the world causing a dangerous shortage of the eels in Europe. The figure quoted is 110 million. I have to admit I am not a big fan of eels although my parents absolutely loved them. We both enjoyed the ones we had in Portugal so a lot depends on how they are prepared. In England Jellied Eels are, or were, very popular and my mother really loved them. They also used to enjoy the grass eels they got in the Mediterranean too. Never did get to try them. Many people will think ugh, what does it matter, but if nothing else, it is upsetting the eco system of European waters.

Bearing in mind that I am always searching for different things to do for breakfast, I was surprised to find I already had a similar recipe to this. However, comparing, I like this one better. They look really yummy. Now all I need is some potatoes.

Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes

4 medium to large russet potatoes, baked or steamed until a knife goes in smoothly, and cooled until
you are able to handle with bare hands
4 hard boiled eggs
4 Tbs unsalted butter, room temp
4 Tbs chive cream cheese (or sour cream), room temp
1 cup finely shredded cheese of your choosing, I used sharp cheddar, divided
4 oz cubed ham (you can sub crumbled cooked bacon or breakfast sausage here, or go meatless)
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.

2. Slice about 1/2 inch off the top of each potato, lengthwise, to create a boat-shape. Remove the peel from this slice, and put the potato part into a medium bowl, discarding the skins. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the potato boats, leaving about ½ inch of potato all around the inside, and adding the scooped potato to the bowl. When you have all of the potatoes hollowed, season them with salt and pepper, and if you like a bit of heat, brush the insides with a thin slick of the hot sauce of your choice, and set aside.

3. Add the softened butter and cream cheese to the potato, and using a potato masher or a wooden spoon, mash the potatoes till well blended, they will still be a bit chunky.  Stir in the ham and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese until well mixed. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.

4. With your hand or a spoon, carefully make a layer of filling on the inside of each potato boat about a ½ inch thick or so.  You should have room to place an egg in the center of each, nestled down in the filling. Again with your hand or a spoon, place more filling on top of each egg, molding it into a domed shape that essentially turns the potato back into a rounded orb. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potatoes, pressing lightly to get it to stick to the mash. Bake on a foil-lined sheet pan for 30-40 minutes until heated through and the cheese is golden and bubbly.

5. If you want to make them ahead, assemble through the cheese topping, then store in the fridge in a covered container for up to 3 days. Let sit at room temperature for an hour before baking.

Servings: 4
Yield: Serves 4, but the recipe scales up and down

Source: Extra Crispy

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I am sick of this president, the NRA, and do not trust Putin. Frontline did an excellent two-parter on him. Not to be trusted. This is a scary world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Denise, we used to live with a nuclear threat, then that got better and now it seems to be back again. In other words, it used to be scary, got better, and now got scary again.

      Delete
  2. I never had eel before. Sorry about the bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very popular in Europe Ivy, never come across them here though.

      Not serious really.

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine what Mamam ate back on her farm in Hungary. They even had their own water and others would come and get it from them. Not that that's the same as eel but I know they ate anything and everything and made meals stretchhhhhhhhh as far as they could.

      Delete
    3. Well Hungary has no coastline Ivy so eels might not have been available. We mostly ate anything and everything in the UK too, especially during and after WWII

      Delete
    4. Even here she ate everything and anything. Just the way they did things. No real good sea food where I live now. What they call a beach here is not what I'm used to from living next to the shore.

      Delete
    5. No, nor me Ivy. Having lived near the coast in the UK and then 12 years on the coast of NC.

      Delete
  3. Just enjoy the bowling ... not sure about the breakfast. Also hadn't heard re the eels but will keep my eyes open now - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do Hilary, it's just a bit of fun. I think this would be a fab breakfast. I hadn't heard before either, it sounds like a serious problem

      Delete
  4. We Brits just don't have gun ownership in our culture - thankfully. As for Putin - scary times.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same in Canada Patricia. Although living in NC one wasn't really "aware" of it.

      Very scary

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think the focus on guns is distracting us from finding answers. Guns are part of our culture and that's not likely to change-- I say that as a person who lives in a home with avid hunters and gun collectors, so we have more guns than humans. I also live in a state with some of the most relaxed gun laws in the US. If guns alone were the problem, WV should be ground zero for violence, but it's a pretty quiet, nonviolent state.

    I do think we have a huge problem with our lack of mental health access. I know people who beg for help and get nothing. That's wrong. The shooter in Florida begged for help. People who knew him made repeated calls to the police and even the FBI- no help, no intervention.

    I saw on TV where a state, I think Massachusetts, has a system in place where people throwing out reg flags can be disarmed while being evaluated. This seems promising. But then, as Americans, there is also strong protections protecting our due process and rights.

    To me, it seems our best answer will be looking into mental health and making it more accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound pretty sensible Liz. Trouble is, being a Brit now living in Canada we are so used to NOT having a gun culture. Of course we have lots of hunters in Canada but we don't basically have people owning guns just for the sake of owing one. We owned one when we were in NC but for snakes, it was a very new development with the odd copper head trotting by LOL

      Delete
  6. That egg potato looks sooo good! I wish had some potatoes in the house! I usually keep my mouth shut on the gun issue cause it's very unpopular with my liberal friends. I wasn't raised to hate guns even though my dad didn't have one and didn't hunt. But I've never had an issue with hunting for food purposes either. I don't think assault rifles, automatic or semi, should be sold or made available ever. But our senators and reps like to sneak in extra shit on all the bills that might start to infringe on the rights to own hunting and target shooting guns. That's why all of a sudden it's illegal to sell an over the counter inhaler. That was stuck onto the end of some other thing and it passed. Same thing with low flow toilets. You HAVE to have them now in new construction or remodels. Not that I'm against that, but I was pretty pissed when I was all out of my prescription inhaler and couldn't get Broncaid at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guns for hunting is one thing as you say JoJo, assault weapons is a totally other matter.

      Delete