Monday, March 26, 2018

Extinction, March for our Lives, Titanic Movie.

I received an email linking me to an article entitled "This is what extinction looks like" A really sad picture of the Northern White Rhino, Sudan, which recently died in captivity. It was the absolutely last male white rhino although he is succeeded by two female rhinos of his line, a daughter and granddaughter. This is a man honouring the final moments of the last Northern White Male Rhino


To me it is not only heartbreaking it is a dreadful condemnation of the human race that we have killed off these fantastic animals just for our own benefit. Because Asians believe rhino horn has medical benefits, we now no longer have Northern White Rhinos. Horn is primarily made up of keratin which is the same as found in hair and fingernails as well as animal hooves and has NO medical benefit whatsoever. We are killing off elephants at an enormous rate for ivory and now Trump has lifted the ban on hunters bringing back their trophies into the States. I am disgusted with the human race and ashamed, a lot of the time, to be a part of it. There was a big furor in 2015 about the killing of Cecil the Lion by an American dentist, how many people ever think of this event any more? I am not blaming Americans especially, it is a much bigger problem than that, but a powerful nation (or are they) like the US ought to be leading the way in preventing this kind of  thing, not encouraging it.

Well, the youngsters had a very successful march on Washington yesterday - March for our Lives. I gather there were 300,000 of them plus a lot of celebrity support for amendment in gun laws, I know celebrities gave funds to help the movement. I was amused one youngster carried a placard saying "I'm not even allowed to take peanut butter into school". Apparently there is an opposing faction of youngsters who want to maintain the status quo. But I would point out that if you are interested in hunting and shooting, it is perfectly possible to pursue such hobbies here in Canada and in the UK where we don't have guns in virtually every household and where we do have gun control. I must say if I were a kid in school in the States, I too would be scared to go there.

I just watched an older film  version of Titanic, in black and white. I thought it was so much better than the later one.

Here's a nice simple dessert which doesn't take much preparation and is certainly pretty healthy.

Bunny Fruit Salad

This naturally sweet festive treat is equally fun for kids and adults, with none of the sugary guilt. Arrange this simple fruit salad recipe in the shape of a bunny for Easter or any spring occasion.

2 fresh pineapples, peeled and diced
½ pint blackberries, halved
1 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced lengthwise

1. Arrange pineapple in the shape of a bunny head on a large, flat serving platter. Arrange 6 blackberry halves down the middle of each ear. Use 2 kiwi slices for the eyes and 1 strawberry slice for the nose. Cut a slice of kiwi into quarters and place 2 pieces right below the nose for the front teeth. Cut the remaining kiwi into thin strips and arrange on each side of the nose for whiskers. Use the remaining blackberries to form a bow tie under the chin. Fill the rest of the platter with the remaining strawberries.

Servings: 8

Source: EatingWell

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. The PBS Nature show on the rhino was very good. They had a local March here, but I didn't drive up the road to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I believe there were more than 300,000 in D.C., plus all the thousands across the USA.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I saw the PBS show Denise. Pity.

      Oops, I have corrected the number, dunno where my zeros went to.

      Delete
  2. The last one? I wonder if any remain in the wild? Shooting animals for sport is just senseless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, according to the experts Alex, there are NO Northern White Rhinos left anywhere except for the two female descendants of the one who just died.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - it is very sad about the rhino. The kids down south I hope and expect will achieve something overtime ... and preferably soon.

    Fruit salad looks good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad Hilary. I didn't know there were Marches in Canada too apparently, also subsidiary Marches in the States. I too hope they achieve something.

      Delete
  4. Kinda makes me wish we were doing Easter so that I could make that fruit bunny. It'd be a bit too much for just the 2 of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could eat it in a couple of days JoJo.

      Delete