Thursday, March 8, 2018

Bowling, Weather, Cheshire Cat,

My dearly beloved husband had the nerve to beat me twice at bowling today. I nearly left him behind
to walk home!! Turns out that in our league bowling I am in 2nd place not third now. However, the woman in 1st place also gained a point so she is 3 ahead of me. The owner said "you know what you have to do?" I said "yes, break her leg". The son offered to bring in a banana peel on Monday. In point of fact she is a better bowler than I am and the woman in third place used to have an average in the 170s but she had to change her style of bowling as she was damaging her knee and hasn't got back to where she was as a bowler. I've never had a long term average that high sadly.

It snowed quite a bit last night but, certainly round here, didn't affect the roads at all, they were very clear. I believe in areas not too far from us they got a lot of the white stuff.  It wasn't as cold today either as there was no wind although I took the precaution of wearing a heavier coat. I believe we are supposed to get more snow and then better weather by the weekend. However, as I keep saying, the worst snowstorm I ever encountered was in April.


The cat is here just because I felt like it. Actually, considering it is a Cheshire Cat and I was born in Cheshire, maybe I should adopt it. Here puss.

We eat a lot of Snap Peas and really enjoy them, raw or cooked. So I always pleased to find new recipes.

Snap Peas With Breadcrumbs and Pecorino

For the best breadcrumb flavor and texture, go for an artisan-quality whole-grain bread instead. A quick toss in a skillet with olive oil adds golden color and just the right crisp to the coarse crumbs. The lemon and pecorino deliver a bright hit of of salty flavor. Pecorino Romano cheese gives the
topping a sharp, salty flavor, but you could also use slightly milder, nutty-flavored Parmesan. Serve with seared pork tenderloin or broiled cod.

2 (1-oz.) slices whole-grain bread
3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 oz trimmed fresh sugar snap peas
3 Tbs grated pecorino Romano cheese, divided
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp kosher salt

1. Pulse whole-grain bread in a small (or mini) food processor until coarsely crumbled, about 10 times.

2. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add trimmed fresh sugar snap peas, and cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer peas to a large bowl.

3. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil in skillet; add breadcrumbs, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 1/2 Tbsp. grated pecorino Romano cheese, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, black pepper, and kosher salt. Toss breadcrumb mixture with peas. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 Tbsp. pecorino Romano cheese. Serve warm.

Servings: 4

Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. If you're involved in a knee-smashing scandal, I'll know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Alex, I would have to get the Mafia to handle it. My rival is Portuguese, do they have Mafia there?

      She is, of course, a very good friend.

      Delete
  2. I love snow peas in my Chinese noodle salad with peanut dressing. Shades of Tonya Harding to come? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good Denise. Well she got away with it, didn't she? Even got a film about her.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - sounds like friendly rivalry all round ... just enjoy. That white stuff ... it's just wet here ... and warmer I'm glad to say. Take care ...cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's a very nice person Hilary. Been good friends for years. Luckily our white stuff only settled on grass and not on roads. Not terribly warm though, about -3°C I think

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun rivalries in the lanes! I love sugar snap peas too. I just made a pasta primavera that was loaded w/ them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well some of us certainly do JoJo. That sounds good. Not a recipe I have ever made, not sure why.

      Delete
  5. Rumour has it, we're supposed to have an extra cold winter this year. What's cold to us would probably be a summer day to you. It did snow about 32 years ago up here on the mountain so it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you don't Pinky. I would have thought, being on a mountain, you would get more snow, not less.

      Delete