Warm tomato-feta salad
Jan 1, 1995 Chatelaine
- 4 to 6 servings
- 8 whole tomatoes, ripe but firm
- 1 to 2 tbsp ( 15 to 30 mL) olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 whole green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup ( 75 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL) balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) dried leaf oregano
- generous pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ( 250 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup ( 50 mL) finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat barbecue and lightly oil grill. Place whole tomatoes on grill. Do not core tomatoes. Brush lightly on all sides with 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) olive oil and turn frequently until tomato skins are lightly charred, from 10 to 12 minutes. Skins will break during barbecuing but tomatoes will not be mushy.
- While tomatoes are being barbecued, shred lettuce and place on a serving platter or in a bowl. Evenly sprinkle with sliced green onions. Then, in a small bowl, using a small whisk or fork, whisk 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil with vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside and let flavors meld until ready to use.
- When tomatoes are hot, remove to a cutting board. Core, then coarsely chop or cut into wedges. Scatter over lettuce. Immediately sprinkle crumbled feta over warm tomatoes. Then drizzle with olive oil mixture. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Toss and serve immediately with thick slices of whole grain bread.