Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sheer Stupidity, Snow, Travel League.

Gawd I’m an idiot at times. I have been using my laptop a lot as I have to keep my feet up as much as possible after the vascular op wifilast year. Feet swell like balloons if I don’t. So, anyway, sitting there on Tuesday aft, my internet connection went off. I lose internet now and again so I just unplugged the power on the router and re-plugged it and then went to supper. Later on I went back to my laptop, still no internet, checked the desktop, it was fine. Phoned the ISP and they dithered around a bit and then said I must have an internet connection button on my laptop and gave me Toshiba’s number because I couldn’t find what they were talking about. Phoned Toshiba and whilst waiting to speak to someone, they gave tips such as turning on the connection on the front of my machine. Oh yes, that one, the one I sometimes turn off when travelling. Duuuh. I couldn’t believe I had forgotten all about it. I must have knocked it off earlier but really, Josephine, you are definitely an idiot.

We woke on Tuesday morning to snow, but really not much, nothing Lacy treeslike they had been predicting. By the time we were ready to go out, shortly after 7, the ploughs had actually been round and driving was fine. I’m still glad we don’t have to shovel though. It continued to snow all day, a fine snow, but it lay on the ground OK. Originally we were forecast to get 25 cm but I don’t think we have anything like that. It was so pretty when we went out first thing, the snow was clinging to the trees and it was like driving through avenues of lace.

Today we have our travel league with the alley being quite local, with all the snow that’s a good thing. Only trouble is, not sure I will be able to bowl, my knee is playing me up. Honestly, I’m falling apart. We'll be having lunch at Angel’s which is a chain I quite enjoy, they have a fairly good variety of foods.

Having received a bunch of recipes for St. David’s day, I had to check when that is. Turns out its March 1. This Onion Cake looked like a great side dish. No I have no idea what those potatoes are, they seem to have a plethora of different potatoes in the UK. Personally I will use Yukon Gold for this recipe.

Welsh onion cake

Recipe by Matt Tebbutt

BBC Good Food

This is Welsh comfort food at its finest - layers of sliced potatoes Welsh Onion Cakeand soft onions cooked together until sticky and golden

  • 100g unsalted butter , melted and warm
  • 500g white onions , sliced
  • 1 rosemary sprig
  • 1kg Desiree or Maris Piper potatoes
  1. Heat about a quarter of the butter in a large pan, set over a medium heat. Sweat the onions with a little salt and the rosemary sprig. Slowly cook on a gentle heat with a lid on for about 20 mins. Remove rosemary and set aside.
  2. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Peel the potatoes and immediately cut into wafer-thin slices directly into a bowl containing the rest of the warm butter. Season with salt and pepper. The thinner the potatoes, the better the dish will be. Do not wash them once they are sliced, as you want all of the starch to stick the potatoes together.
  3. Line an ovenproof, non-stick frying pan with a round of baking parchment. Layer potatoes neatly into the dish in a circle, slightly overlapping. The bottom of the pan will become the presentation side. Continue to pile in half of the potatoes, then add the melted onions. On top of the onions continue with the potatoes until all used up. Set the pan over a medium heat and gently begin to colour the bottom of the dish for 5 mins, then transfer to the oven and cook for 45-50 mins until the potatoes are soft.
  4. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 mins. Invert onto a serving plate, then slice into wedges with a very sharp knife.

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments:

  1. Those trees look pretty but you can keep the snow!

    Welsh onion cake looks interesting, but almost Potatoes Boulangere? Only difference I can see is the method of starting on the hob (and of course there is no stock in the Welsh version).


    http://www.reallynicerecipes.com/recipe/potato/boulangere

    I've bookmarked the recipe and will give it a go ... David's type of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you wouldn't like me to send you some?

      Reminded me a bit of the Potato Gallette we make - recipe by Jacques Pepin. It's got spinach in it. Love it. I have posted it here at one time or another.

      Delete