Monday, April 19, 2010

Pay to Pee, Volcano Update, Vacation.

Well, this is a new one, Ryanair are talking about making people pay to pee. http://tinyurl.com/y4jfuwq I know a lot of airlines have been charging for carry on, but this goes a bit far. Mind you with some of the carry ons I have seen people shoving into the overhead lockers I agree they should be charged. But for small bags and cases this seems a bit much, what about a woman's handbag? Mind you some of those can be big enough to carry an elephant. There was a lot more on TV about the ash fallout from the volcano in Iceland this morning. The Icelanders themselves are deluged with stuff which has buried their gardens and set like concrete. Matt saw a report that talked about the ash falling so fast it would take 3 seconds to fill and Olympic sized swimming pool. It is costing airlines billions of dollars and the British navy is sending warships to bring home stranded Brits. Glenda Larke says it would be possible for her to travel into Europe to catch a flight from there, but it would be way too expensive. On top of all this, there is another volcano which could join in at any time. There's some good video footage on Good Morning America at http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA There is also a series of incredible shots many taken from a chopper or a satellite http://tiny.url.com/y2kxknt There is also a section on how to pronounce the name of the volcano Eyjafjallajokul should you be interested. Apparently Icelandic is closest to old Norse or what the Vikings spoke. I am having to type on my laptop again this morning which, as you know, I find difficult because I keep losing what I type or having the cursor jump elsewhere. Yesterday, by the way, we booked ourselves a cottage in North Carolina for two weeks in September so we are looking forward to it. You can see it at http://www.tinyurl.com/y2mdtm6 its quite a big place for us on our own but it has good beach access without a lot of walking for me plus it also has wifi which will delight me but will
NOT please Matt. We will rattle around in there like two peas in a pod but it is away from the traffic apparently, friends have been there, which will be good for Matt he found it very disturbing before. For supper last night I tried out a Kraft recipe for Alfredo sauce, very easy, very simple and certainly an acceptable sauce. We both enjoyed it and have leftovers but no pasta at the moment. We buy the whole wheat pasta these days by the way, much better for us. Philly Alfredo Kraft Kitchens 1 tub (250 g) Philadelphia Cream Cheese Spread 1 cup milk 1 cup Kraft 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese pinch of ground nutmeg salt and pepper 1. HEAT 1 tub (250g) Philadelphia Spreadable Cream Cheese with 1 cup each milk and Kraft Grated Parmesan in a nonstick pot. Bring to a boil. Season with a dash of ground nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. 2. POUR over hot cooked pasta and top with additional Kraft Grated Parmesan. 3. SERVE with a side of steamed broccoli. 4. Variation For a quick rosé sauce, add 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) stewed tomatoes to the sauce Servings: 8 Have a great day

6 comments:

  1. For Ryan Ai, this is just another example of cost outsourcing. Turn one of our costs into a customer paid item, like shopping bags in the grocery store.



    With respect to the carry-on luggage. If the carriers and airports didn't have such a lousy record of loosing my cargo I would gleefully check my luggage. It's become so bad that I know if my trip is taking me through Denver I would be better off to pre-ship my bag via the US Postal Service.

    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. To date I have never had that problem, I'm pleased to say. I remember a colleague at a convention with nothing to wear 'cos his bags had not arrived.

    Looks like a limited # of planes will be flying from Britain soon. Has the ash affected you guys at all? I know you fly all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our travel is not curretly affected by this, but we could be hampered future. My trips to the middle east this year could get interesting if the volcano doesn't settle before then.

    I am just hoping to get to Edmonton and back in one piece this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they are flying in Europe again now, so unless it flares up again, you should be OK. As for Edmonton, no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Ryanair will hand out pipi bags - for free. Should make flying a very nasty experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can still use the ones on plane just not for free.

    ReplyDelete