Monday, November 16, 2009

My Weekend, My Win.

Well, that was a good weekend. We went to our pig tail dinner on Saturday and enjoyed ourselves very much. I was fairly good, I only ate one pig tail and two small schnitzels, some of our table ate nothing but pig tails which aren't the healthiest thing you can eat. With it they served sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. I had the kraut, not the potatoes. The pigtail I had was good as was the schnitzel. They had a Newfie band, same one every year, and people were dancing. Unfortunately, my dancing days are over. I enjoyed some of the things the band were playing, one or two really down east songs from Newfoundland which I enjoyed, but not really the best tunes for elderly folks to dance to. Sunday morning we had our bowling tournament, we got there at 10 as we had been told, but it turned out it should have been 10:30 a.m. A whole bunch of people didn't turn up apparently which delayed us as they were trying to locate them. They never did arrive. Matt and I were teamed up with a couple of guys we didn't know and bowling commenced some time after 11. The game was pins over average, and the three bowlers with the most POA would go on to Hamilton. Shortly after the second game my friends arrived so they watched what was happening and checked the scores. I was lying third apparently. Poor Matt was having a lousy day and wasn't a happy camper at all. We played one more game and guess what, I kept my third place, so now I am due to go on to the next round in February. Whoopee. My American friend whom I had never met f2f with before, was very interested in 5-pin bowling which is, of course, a totally Canadian game. She does bowl in the States, but not league play I don't think. At the end of the game we were given all our paperwork. The Ontario 5-pin Bowlers Association pay for me to have one night in a hotel room in Hamilton (where the next round takes place) and for my banquet after the tournament. We register at 8 a.m. so a hotel would definitely be a necessity as we would have to leave home before the crack of dawn to get there in time. I am very excited about the whole deal although I could wish we bowled in the afternoon as I am not sure what we are supposed to do with ourselves for the rest of the day until the banquet in the evening. My two friends and I then went to the My Thai restaurant just down from the bowling alley. I had wanted to try the place for a while, so now was my chance. Matt went home, he didn't want to be with three gossiping women!! We ended up with two of us having a small bowl of soup, mine was a vegetable soup. Then we shared a mango salad. Afterwards one of us had beef with red peppers, the other friend had chicken and cashews and I ended up with Emerald Curried shrimp (green curry by any other name) which was very good. I had a glass of Thai wine with it which reminded me of Chardonnay. Finally one friend ordered banana fritters which I wasn't going to share, but we did having a quarter banana a piece, pretty good stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed it as did my friends. Needless to say, we yapped the whole time. We know, by internet if not face to face, a lot of people in common and we were catching up. The friend from Texas had been out of the loop for a while too, so there was a lot to catch up on. On the way home I suddenly remembered a local gourmet shop, David's, which I have mentioned before and took them there. Big mistake, I didn't think I would ever get them out of the store, *g*. There is certainly a lot to check out. I had told my American friend about the Lindt chocolate mousse so when we found a bar, she bought it. My other friend also bought a few things and I bought some Ćevapčići which are made of beef, pork and lamb. I thought we would try them. We actually prefer all lamb. The picture is a somewhat ornate display of the sausages. Home and the girls headed out as my one friend is in a regular performance called Haunted Hamilton and had to be there that evening. Here is a recipe for Thai Green Curry. The first time I ever ate it was in England where a friend in my cookery group had made it for our big meeting where we all met for the first time. The two women I had lunch with are from the same group. We made it ourselves some time later but as we used commercial curry paste, the colour wasn't the same. My UK friend apparently grinds her own spices to make it. Thai Green Curry Food TV from Crash My Kitchen Yield: 6 * 1 tbsp peanut oil * 2 x shallots, finely chopped * 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste * 3 x skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed * 6 x skinless chicken thighs, cubed * 3 cups coconut milk * 1 cup water * 3 tbsp fish sauce * 1 tbsp sugar * 2 x lime leaves * 20 x whole Thai basil leaves * 1 cup snow peas * 1 x large red pepper, julienne * 1 bunch cilantro 1. Place oil in wok set over medium heat allow this to heat 10 – 20 seconds. Add shallots and curry paste. Cook shallots until opaque, do not brown. 2. Add chicken followed by milk, water, fish sauce, sugar and lime leaves. Stir ingredients together. Cook over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. Reduce heat and continue to cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and chicken to cooked through. 3. Reduce heat to low add Thai basil, snow peas and red pepper. Let cook for 2 – 3 minutes and serve. 4. Serve over Jasmine rice

2 comments:

  1. I know the Lindt chocolate mousse one. Problem is it is so nice that a bar disappears in one go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well no, we have been fairly good eating three pieces a night. However, we only have one more helping - saaad.

    ReplyDelete