Saturday, November 16, 2019

Urologist, Service Ontario, Landlord letters, Cooking,

As I said, there was an appointment with the urologist, turned out it was for me and after a  bit of grousing from me, he changed one of my pills and I have to go back again in January for a test etc. Matt was almost disappointed he wasn't supposed to see the doc. On the way back, we dropped in for some gin for himself, I don't touch the stuff, and as I was close to the pharmacy, I phoned to make sure they had the prescription, if not I had a copy of it. They did so I didn't have to do the long walk to the back of the store. I hate that, sick people have to walk the furthest.

Afterwards, went to Service Ontario to order a new health card for Matt. Mind you his current one doesn't expire til next February, but... we had already been sent renewal forms. Went in and I approached one of the counters and explained about Matt and she dealt with us straight away. She also suggested he should have an ID card as he no longer has a driver's license. They copped me for another $35. Can't go in there without paying that amount of money. However, it will be a good thing for him to have. Had to have two pix taken, one for his health card and another for the ID. There was a long line up, people must have been wondering why we got attended to before them.

Earlier in the day, we got two letters shoved under the door by the super, I assume, one telling us that the ant people will be coming again next Tuesday. Didn't realise they were called Pharaoh ants. They attached a letter explaining about them and asking us not to kill the ants but leave them to go feed on the "stuff" they had put down so they can go feed it to their queen. Here you are your majesty, nice drop of poison for you. Only trouble is, one sees them on the kitchen counter and automatically want to end their lives. Or I do. However, I refrained. It says they feed on sweets and proteins (fat) and ask us to keep our counters, etc. spotlessly clean so they will eat the baits they have put down.

Also had another letter from the landlords about Pre-Authorised Debit. I have wanted them to get with it and arrange this so that I don't have to write 12 cheques every year, better if they take it direct from the bank, however, there are some rather odd conditions so discussed it with a friend, we were both about to go out though so going to talk about it today.

I made the Ginger Stir Fry with Shrimp and Snow Peas for Friday dinner. It was delicious, but needed a bit more zip. I will spice up the remainder a bit more when we eat it. However, do try it, I think you will enjoy it.

I came across this recipe whilst looking up the Ginger Shrimp and thought it sounded pretty good too. I do like stuff cooked in foil, saves such a lot of clean up.

Garlic Dijon Shrimp and Salmon Foil Packs

Bold and savory garlic dijon shrimp and salmon foil packs are loaded with your favorite seafood and
the most incredible tangy honey dijon sauce. Easy to make with no cleanup!

4 salmon fillets I used skin-off
1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled and de-veined I kept tails on, feel free to remove them before beginning recipe if desired
4 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning herbs see note

Garlic Dijon Sauce
8 Tbs butter, melted 1 stick or 1/2 cup
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs dijon mustard
2 tsp whole grain dijon mustard
3 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper, to taste I used about 1/8 teaspoon each
1 Tbs fresh chopped dill

1. Prepare 4 12x12 inch pieces of foil and set aside. Drizzle salmon with olive oil, rub over whole surface, then season with salt, pepper, and half of the Italian seasoning dried herbs. Repeat process with the shrimp.

2. To make the sauce, stir together all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

3. Assemble foil packs by placing salmon in the middle, topped with 3-4 shrimp. Drizzle HALF of the sauce over the shrimp and salmon, RESERVE the other half for using later. Fold foil over the shrimp and salmon and pinch edges to seal closed so no juices leak.

These last two lines should be reversed.

4. Drizzle with the reserved sauce (you may need to microwave it for a few seconds first if the butter has cooled) and top with additional fresh chopped dill if desired and serve.

5. For oven cooking, preheat oven to 450°F - bake 16 to 20 minutes on a cookie sheet.

Servings: 4

Source: | lecremedelacrumb.com


Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Let those people still waiting in line grumble! A lot of people here don't realize you can make an appointment with the DMV and not wait. I loved that last time I went.

    Years ago our bug people put out that kind of poison. It never really worked. Our bug guy now sprays inside and out and we've never had a problem in 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's useful Diane being able to make an appointment. It's like our local laboratory, once I used to have to stand in line at 6:30 am to get an early test, now I can book ahead and just walk in. Great.

      We used to spray ourselves, inside every week, outside once a month. We did it for roaches, but no doubt the ants weren't too keen either.

      Delete
  2. That salmon recipe looks good! I like those foil type meals; so easy for clean up!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tell the people waiting in line to bow to the queen as you pass. :)

    When my kids were little and we'd go to a sit down restaurant, I'd call and order ahead (that we pre-online ordering) so the kids didn't have to wait forever and have the opportunity to get bratty.

    I'll have to try the salmon recipe. Chad and the boys love it. I don't care for it, so it's not something I know how to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I should wave gently in passing LOL

      That was a good idea Liz, I do know what you mean, especially now when if we have to wait a long time Matt gets antsy and waiting in hospital for hours sends him into a panic attack.

      This method of cooking salmon is foolproof Liz. Just wrap it up and shove it in the oven. I do it quite a lot with salmon.

      Delete
    2. If you do try it, reverse lines 4 and 5, I just re-read the recipe. Didn't notice that before.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had snow peas in forever!
    Ants. Had 'em almost all season.
    We did the poison thing too.
    Then they died and another batch came back.
    And after awhile, it was like I was just feeding them.
    So I removed the bait and haven't had a cluster since.
    I dunno. It was weird. That was the first time that ever happened.
    Normally, they'd eat it and die and not come back.
    But not this time.
    Okay ... headed to bed. It's after midnight.
    Be back again to catch up on the rest of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good. I know what you mean about the ants Ivy. But, they have asked us to keep our places scrupulously clean! Last time the ants did go away so maybe they will this time. Not seen any today.

      Sleep well.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's really weird.
      Normally they go all the way away for us too.
      Just not this year.
      Crazy.
      But once I pulled their poison they stopped coming by the 100s.
      Last night though, I saw one teeny spring ant.
      Bonkers.

      Delete
    3. Still not seen any. Orkin men due soon.

      Delete
  5. I read somewhere about using citrus for getting rid of ants. I clean the kitchen from top to bottom with lemon concentrate. It always gets rid of them. Don't know if it would work on the kind of ants you have. Shrimp and Salmon, mmmm.

    ReplyDelete