Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Tuesday Morning, The Orkin Men, Costco, Razor, Spanish, Seven Drunken Nights,

Unbelievably, having claimed tiredness last night, I went to bed fairly early, for me, and ended up not doing more than possibly dozing a bit until gone 3 a.m. with the result that I slept in this morning. Not long been up when the super knocked on the door to tell us the Orkin men were on their way (ants again) so I threw some clothes on. Matt was in his dressing gown, more respectable than a night dress. They came in, trotted round the apartment and deposited some kind of liquid in various places and off they went. About 5 minutes I would guess. Not sure how many apartments they visited but quite a lot I believe. So then I had breakfast. Matt had finished his as he made it earlier. He eats the same thing every morning anyway. Boooooring. I have recently been having a smoked salmon and scrambled eggs kick, I also make an oatmeal congee which I have mentioned before. Once in a while, and when I am in a real hurry, I might eat some of the cereal Matt consumes regularly.

Later we got a parcel from Costco and it turned out that it was not what I ordered so I had to contact them about it. They said I could and wanted me to take the heavy parcel in to my nearest Costco, you must be joking, I explained I was a very senior citizen so they said they would email me a label and I could then call UPS. Much better. Wonder how long it will take to get the email.

Later the new razor I ordered for himself arrived and I gave him the parcel to unpack. Next thing I know, he had it on charge in the kitchen with the razor in the dish rack!!! So I transferred it to his bathroom. It takes 8 hours to charge the first time which upset him but he doesn't need to try and shave until the morning.

During the afternoon I decided to do my Spanish lessons - I will be interested to  know how ladydog did with her Spanish on her vacation. She is coming for a visit, with Zoey, on Thursday.

This evening we watched Celtic Thunder Legacy II. A favourite. I wanted to find out where on YouTube the song Seven Drunken Nights was so I could copy the URL for our exercise instructor. I actually found 2  versions but it's the second one we prefer. So then I thought I would include it here for your amusement.


I love shrimp and I am very fond of snow peas and ginger so this was a no brainer for me. May try it on Friday although I was thinking of other things to cook. It seems that Grace Parisi comes up with some very good recipes

Gingered Stir-Fry with Shrimp and Snow Peas

Large nonstick skillets that can create a sear are ideal for stir-fries. For this recipe, Food and Wine's
Grace Parisi creates layers of flavor with Chinese chile-garlic sauce and matchsticks of fresh ginger.

1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese chile-garlic sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh ginger, cut into fine matchsticks
1/2 lb snow peas
1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 small scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Steamed rice, for serving

1. In a small bowl, whisk the chicken stock with the soy sauce, Chinese chile-garlic sauce and cornstarch.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the ginger matchsticks and stir-fry over moderately high heat until they are softened, about 1 minute. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until crisp-tender and the ginger is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp to the skillet and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the scallions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Whisk the chile sauce, add it to the skillet and stir-fry until the shrimp are opaque throughout and the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute longer. Serve with steamed rice.

Servings: 4

Author: GRACE PARISI
Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

11 comments:

  1. I love that recipe, and happen to have all the ingredients at hand! Guess what I'm cooking tomorrow?

    Thanks so much for your support in buying You Beneath Your Skin, Jo. I look forward to your reactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I will be doing it at the weekend too - oops need snow peas.

      Not sure when I will get round to reading it Damy seem to be acquiring quite a TBR lately.

      Delete
  2. Nothing worse than ants except maybe cockroaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cockroaches with a passion Alex. Not something one sees much of up here thank goodness. We managed to keep them out of our place in NC thank goodness. By comparison, I am quite fond of ants LOL

      Delete
  3. When we first got married, we had tiny ants coming into the house. They got into everything. We had to put everything in the fridge and the dishwasher. It had to seal. They could chew their way into plastic bags and boxes. We used Terro. It was a clear liquid. The landlord tried all sorts of things. We finally went with the old farmer cure.

    I love snow peas, but don't like shrimp. I could try it with chicken.

    Glad Costco is coming to pick it up. I hate it when a store's mistake ends up causing me extra work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried something like Terro before, seemed to work only it solidified in the areas when I had put it. Never been able to get rid of it.

      Yes, I would think chicken would work.

      Not Costco but UPS. Same difference I guess.

      Delete
  4. I used to make a shrimp dish similar to that.

    Our bug guy sprays really well and we almost never see a bug of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are close enough to get really fresh shrimp Diane. I envy you except you don't eat shrimp any more.

      Glad for your sake. Especially because of the roaches. Yuk.

      Delete
  5. I'm a great fan of Celtic Thunder, too. I haven't seen any videos of their performances since Keith Harkin left though they seem to cope well with changing performers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a DVD with their most recent group Helen. Ryan is still there and Damian appears as well. There is a super version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia with Ryan singing it and the female violinist playing the necessary music.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that shrimp looks good. Love Celtic Thunder.

    ReplyDelete