Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Snow, Memorial Day, Crock Pot, Supper

Woke up to snow although it didn't seem to be much but it continued to snow and snow, a very light but continuous fall. In the end the roads, locally, where white as anything and Matt was quite certain we shouldn't go bowling. He does seem to get in a tizz about driving in the snow, particularly because of other drivers. I was actually not feeling all that brilliant in the morning anyway, so we didn't go. Not the only ones, about 10 people didn't turn up we were told.

Poor ladydog, she belongs to a band (actually a couple of them), plays the French horn, and they were due to play in a local township for Memorial Day at their cenotaph. Outside of course, I have no doubt she froze as it would have snowed right through the time she was outside.

Later in the afternoon, one of the owners of the bowling alley called to pick up my crock pot for his son. I was glad to give it to someone we know. Apparently son and girlfriend work different shifts so it will be great for them to come home to a hot meal. He told us this morning there had been an idiot driving at 50 mph around a roundabout in the snow.

Made chili in my Instant Pot - so easy - and we enjoyed it for supper. Then, after Jeopardy we watched The Dirty Dozen which is a favourite movie of mine. Have you seen it, if not you should.

Easy Instant Pot Chili

Cook time
Total time
This Instant Pot chili is amazing! Just dump all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and have this mouthwatering chili for dinner 25 minutes later! EASIEST CHILI EVER!
Author: 
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef or turkey
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1½ tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup water
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients except water in the Instant Pot. Mix with a spoon until the meat is broken up and all ingredients are combined.
  2. With a spoon, make a well in the middle of the meat mixture so the bottom of the pot is exposed, and pour ½ cup of water there.
  3. Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to a Sealing position.
  4. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 20 minutes on High pressure.
  5. When the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release (QR) the remaining steam.
Notes
If using frozen ground meat, dump all ingredients in the Instant Pot and skip the step of mixing them (since you can't mix a frozen solid block of meat). Add 5 minutes to the cooking time. After the chili is cooked, break up the meat into small chunks and mix everything together.

Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. I got about 10 inches of snow. It was brutal. They closed the schools early and today there is no school. I'm no fan of winter and condo living is starting to look pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Condo or apartment but you would really miss your garden Denise. Everywhere is pretty white here but not that deep thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. Wow snow and it was 86 degrees here yesterday. Heard the Mid Western and Eastern parts of the US were going through an arctic blast. Looks like it hit your area too. Now that hubby is retiring and I'm not currently working we are looking more into an InstaPot since there will be more time to get together things for dinner. Was using crock pot more. This recipe looks good and easy; my kind of meal!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and easy Betty. I love my Instant Pot, it is so simple to use and you can use it to replicate a crock pot although why would you. You can set it for later in the day and it will do it's merry little thing at whatever time you want.

      Don't make me jealous with your 86° Betty. Although I do enjoy looking at the park outside our window when it is totally white. The same park as in my picture above.

      Delete
  3. Jo, I'm also not a fan of driving in the snow, and sometimes it's easier just to bundle up and walk gingerly to local appointments and the grocery store which is conveniently located across the street. Sounds like you're all stocked up on food and still managed to make a lovely dinner. Your husband is very lucky that you're a gourmet cook!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out with the Community Services vehicle today and actually the roads aren't too bad now Julie. I was just sorry to miss bowling. Yes, I've always got a freezer full of stuff!!

      Delete
  4. I smiled when I read "Snow, Memorial Day, Crock Pot, Supper" because are you familiar with "Words for Wednesday?" I'm stealing the next line from Blogger Elephant's Child who is one of the facilitators.

    "This meme was started by Delores a long time ago. Words for Wednesday is now provided by a number of people and has become a movable feast."

    Anyhow, it's a fun weekly post... and thank God I never lose focus when I reply!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, unaware of that blog Mark. I shall have to check it out when I have time (whatever that is).

      Delete
  5. My granddaughter is so eager for snow. I'm copying that chili recipe. My husband and I love chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to do, but if you like it spicy sue, you might need to add some to it.

      Delete