Friday, November 15, 2019

Lunch. Grocery, Nap, Friday Dinner, Jeopardy, Urologist,

Got to the Red Lobster at lunchtime and walked in to see a face peering at us from one of the window slots and the hostess saying people were waiting for us. I didn't recognise my friend's son at first and was rejecting him as the person we were lunching with. Haven't seen him in 3 or more years. Enjoyed lunch and it was nice to see our friend, haven't seen her in a while either and as she is moving, won't be seeing too much of her in the future. Although, as I said yesterday, maybe we will go to Stratford one of these days. I told her son not to be a stranger now she was moving.

I had placed a small order at the grocery store with things I forgot or didn't realise I needed. You can post a small order so long as it is valued at $30 or more. Popped in to collect that and then whizzed on home. Meant to do some other errands but missed out.

Spent the afternoon fast asleep. Well I was up fairly late last night. Had the remains of our Butter Chicken for supper. Tomorrow I am planning the Gingered Shrimp and Snow Peas which I haven't tried yet. Of course, having been asleep this means I will have to do my Spanish lessons tonight again, what a fool.

Been watching the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions, we are now down to the last two shows. James Holzhauer is a finalist as is the girl who supposedly beat him. Jeopardy James is doing very well in the first half of the match, got my fingers crossed for him.

Just realised we have an appointment with the urologist. No idea whether its for me or for Matt. Guess we will find out. Odd, I normally write it down. Maybe its for both of us.

This looked so good in the picture I couldn't help but post it. Maybe I will try it one of these days or make a simpler version. I do enjoy pork tenderloin.

Stuffed Pork Tenderloins with Bacon and Apple-Riesling Sauce

Debra Whiting, the chef and co-owner of Red Newt Winery Bistro in New York's Finger Lakes, loves
the fresh goat cheese from the local Lively Run Dairy so much that she always works it into her dinner menu. Here, she mixes the cheese with apple, sausage and greens, then stuffs it inside a bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin.

PORK
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 lb pork breakfast sausage, casings removed
1 Granny Smith apple—peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch dice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp chopped thyme
1/2 tsp chopped sage
1/2 cup finely chopped collard greens (2 large leaves, stemmed)
4 oz fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 1-pound pork tenderloins
6 slices of bacon

SAUCE
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Granny Smith apple—peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch dice
3/4 cup apple cider
1/2 cup dry Riesling
1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/2 tsp chopped sage
1/2 tsp chopped thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the apple, garlic, thyme and sage and cook until the apple just begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the collard greens and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature. Mix in the goat cheese and season the stuffing with salt and pepper.

2. Light a grill. Using a long, thin knife and beginning at a thick end, cut a 1-inch-wide pocket through the center of each pork tenderloin; use the handle of a wooden spoon to widen the pocket if necessary. Fill the pork tenderloins with the stuffing, poking it in with the wooden spoon. Season the tenderloins with salt and pepper and wrap the bacon strips securely around them; try to cover any exposed stuffing with the bacon.

3. Grill the pork tenderloins over moderately high heat, turning four times, until browned on every side, about 25 minutes, or the internal temperature reaches 140°. Transfer the pork tenderloins to a cutting board, cover tightly with foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the apple, cider, Riesling, chicken stock, sage and thyme and simmer until the apple softens, about 7 minutes. Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the sauce back into the saucepan and boil until it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Yield: 4

Author: Debra Whiting
Source: Food and Wine



Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I got that email with the pork recipe too and thought it looked like a keeper.
    Glad you got out and about. Our subdivision roads here are still like skating rinks. Hoping for a thaw soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks delicious doesn't it Denise. Just in our local area the roads are still a bit snowy, but the main roads are clear as a bell. I think you got more snow than us anyway.

      Delete
    2. Nine and a half inches on Monday and then two more yesterday.

      Delete
    3. Yup, lots more than us, I don't even know what we got actually but it sure wasn't that much Denise.

      Delete
  2. Some people can really change in 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Diane, I am sure he had hair last time I saw him, now he has it all shaved off.

      Delete
  3. When my oldest son came home from Africa, I walked right past him in the airport. He hadn't shaved in all those months and had lost weight. He still pokes fun at me for it.

    I am always messing with my sleep schedule. One day I'll be up all night. The next I'm in bed by midnight. It just depends what I need to get done that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Liz. Mind you not shaving makes a heck of a difference.

      Sounds like you need to get to bed early on a regular basis. You know it helps weight loss don't you?

      Delete
  4. That pork recipe looks good. I'm trying to find pork and lamb recipes to make since I haven't experimented too much with either of them in the past.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamb? That's unusual for an American Betty. What kind of lamb, chops, roasts? Can't remember, do you have an Instant Pot?

      Delete
  5. Would you and your friend ever do a face chat on the computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which friend Ivy? What is a face chat. Have talked to people on Google Hangouts. Alex too although he won't show his face.

      Delete
    2. I don't think she is knowledgeable enough to do a face chat. Her son is. but he is a busy man.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to Red Lobster in a while, but now I'm thinking I need to go soon. That pork does look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fond of the restaurant Sue. Yes, I thought so. You realise you are keeping me up again.

      Delete