Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Storm, TEACH, Anniversary Dessert, Red Lobster,

The weather doesn't know what it's doing at the moment. Yesterday it was quite chilly, today it went up to 29°C, which is pretty warm, then this afternoon we had one hell of a thunderstorm. The cracks of thunder were right overhead and sounded terrible. The rain came down in sheets - not that we don't need it. Reminded me of the kind of storms they get in Florida on most summer afternoons. I felt so sorry for the kids leaving school at this time. Umbrellas were in use, but I can't imagine they did much from the look of the rain. Every afternoon we get a string of cars collecting their kids (yes we get a string of cars in the morning too). Everyone must have got pretty wet. I wanted to take our car outside for a wash but I would have been stuck in it - no way I would have got out in the rain to go back indoors.

Tomorrow I have Session 3 in the TEACH course at the Alzheimer Society, Change in Caregiving Relationship, which should be interesting. I must say I will be sorry when these sessions end as they will after the 9th. They have been helpful so far both in the content of the session and, as I mentioned before, in the contact with other spouses. Ladydog and Zoey (the real lady dog), will be coming and cleaning the silver (yes Zoey will lick it clean!), so Matt doesn't think he is being babysat. Mind you he hasn't said anything about that since.

Damn, I have just realised I had a coupon for another free dessert from Red Lobster for our anniversary and I missed it. Expires tomorrow (today now) maybe we could go there with ladydog after I come  back. Ladydog, if you read this, do you want to join us? Apparently for their Endless Shrimp promotion, they are doing Nashville Hot shrimp which look delicious. Yum.  I used to complain that everything was spicy but now I live everything to be that way. I do cook things which are not spicy, but I have basically joined up with the spicy brigade. Monday night I cooked the Sausage and Peppers dish of which I am so fond and that has hot peppers in it. I often say that I could eat the dish forever, but I don't suppose I really could.

Amy and Jacky have a site which concentrates on Instant Pots, recipes and tips for the use of the appliance. This is their latest recipe. I think this is for a large Pot, that much liquid would be too much for my little pot I think.

Instant Pot Lentil Soup

Learn how to cook Comforting Hearty Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Pressure Cooker Lentil Soup)! A
flavorful bowl of thick soothing lentil soup, topped with crisp smoky bacon bits. Satisfy your crowd with this super easy to make Instant Pot Soup with simple affordable ingredients.

2 cups dried split green lentils
6 slices bacon , browned and cut into bits
6 garlic cloves , minced
1 large onion , roughly diced
2 large carrot , roughly chopped
2 celery ribs , roughly chopped
14 oz crushed tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 tsp  ground cumin
1 tsp  dried thyme
6 cups unsalted chicken stock
2 Tbs fish sauce
Garnish
A dash sherry vinegar or rice wine vinegar (optional)
Freshly chopped parsley
Bacon bits

1. Preheat & Render Bacon: Before you turn on the heat, layer 6 slices of bacon in Instant Pot's inner pot.

2. Note: We are using the preheating heat to render & crisp the bacon.

3. Heat up Instant Pot using "Sauté More" function. Flip bacon occasionally. Once Instant Pot says "HOT" (~12 mins), the bacon should be done. Place bacon on a paper towel to absorb the excess fat.

4. Saute Onions & Garlic: Keep the flavorful bacon fat in Instant Pot. Add in diced onion, then saute for 3 minutes. Add in minced garlic, 1 tsp (2.7g) ground cumin, 1 tsp (0.6g) dried thyme, and 3 bay leaves. Saute for another minute.

5. Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Give it a quick mix.

6. Pressure Cook Lentil Soup: Add 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce and 5 ½ cups (1375ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Add in 2 cups (400g) green lentils, chopped carrots, and chopped celery. Give it a quick mix. Layer 14oz (400g) crushed tomatoes on top. Do not mix.

7. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure cook at High Pressure 8 minutes + Natural Release 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure. Open the lid carefully.

8. While the soup is pressure cooking, cut bacon slices into bacon bits.

9. Season Lentil Soup: Taste the lentil soup, then adjust seasoning accordingly (for reference, we added roughly 4 - 5 pinches of salt to balance & open up the flavors).

10. Serve Instant Pot Lentil Soup: Garnish Lentil Soup with freshly chopped parsley and bacon bits, then serve immediately.

Yield: 6 - 8

Source: Amy & Jacky

Author Notes
You can also add just a bit of sherry vinegar or rice wine vinegar for another layer of flavor just before serving.





,
Have a great day

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're getting a lot out of the sessions.
    I'd be happy with any kind of cool weather here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am Alex.

      Well that's what comes of living dahn saath. At least we lived by the ocean so could cool off if we needed to.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE LENTILS in my Instant Pot. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete