Monday, October 7, 2019

Spanish, Bowling, Thanksgiving, Nothing Like A Dame,

I have kind of got into the habit of doing my Spanish in the morning which works out much better, although I won't be able to on Wednesday as that is my last TEACH session at the ALZ Society. I will miss it. A  very helpful course and I hope they will have others in the future. Although I have been imposing on ladydog  to keep Matt company - and clean the silver LOL. Mind you I think if Zoey (the dog) was there I don't think Matt would notice anything else.

Monday is bowling and I don't know if Matt will bowl or not - he was talking about trying yesterday, but that was yesterday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can bowl as well as I did last week.

I can't believe it is our Thanksgiving next Monday. Seems only a short while ago since we were celebrating it last time. I cannot remember, for the life of me, if we bowl that day or not. Will have to check. Mind you I cook on the Saturday anyway.

Watched a super documentary last night, Nothing Like a Dame with Judi Dench, Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith and Eileen Atkins. All have been awarded honours by the Royal  and therefore should be addressed as Dame Judi, etc. It was absolutely hilarious, especially between Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. One of the funniest things I have seen in years. It was brilliant. I didn't know Joan Plowright was married to Sir Lawrence Olivier either which made her both Lady Joan and Dame Joan. Lots of jokes about their ages and Maggie Smith told Judi Dench that she MUST get hearing aids.

When I saw this recipe, I couldn't resist it. Looked so delicious. In my case I would probably use Scotch whisky instead of Bourbon but otherwise, yum. Actually rum would also be good I think. Depending on your diet considerations, I might whisk up some cream, rather than milk, as a  topper. (And I wonder why I am gaining weight?)

Bourbon Hot Cocoa

Chocolate and bourbon? Say no more. Make this delicious hot chocolate recipe from scratch on a
cold winter day.

½ cup bittersweet chocolate pieces
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups fat-free milk
2 Tbs honey
½ cup (4 oz.) bourbon
Ground cinnamon (optional)

1. In a medium saucepan stir together chocolate pieces and cocoa powder. Whisk in 3½ cups of the milk and the honey. Cook over medium heat just until boiling and chocolate pieces are melted, whisking constantly. Stir in bourbon. For frothy topper, pour the remaining ½ cup milk into a medium bowl. Microwave 20 to 30 seconds or just until warm. Beat with whisk until frothy. Serve cocoa with frothy topper and, if desired, sprinkle with cinnamon or additional cocoa powder.

Servings: 6

Source: Diabetic Living Magazine

Have a great day

5 comments:

  1. Seems I need to find that documentary someplace. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That documentary sounds fun. I'm going to see if I can find it somewhere. I'm not a big chocolate fan, but I believe I could drink that kind. Like you, I'd probably substitute scotch whiskey for the bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see that documentary also. Will have a look for it - I liked the first Marigold Hotel film best - we viewed it 3 days after returning from a tour round India (David's first experience of the country) so watching the film took us right back to the chaotic vibrancy of the place.

    Such a shame that Dame Judi Dench has macular degeneration. I think she and Maggie Smith are fantastic actors. We're going to see the Downton Abbey film on Monday and I love the character Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess who is played by Maggie Smith.

    ReplyDelete