Monday, October 14, 2019

Koi and Goldfish, Mandarin, Thanksgiving, Air Fryer,

I never knew until this morning that goldfish were actually carp and I believe koi are too. I was reading a fascinating article about a scientist who had a goldfish as a kid. She touched him and realised his skin was scaly so she added lotion to the water!! The Mandarin has a koi pond in the lobby area - very appropriate for a Chinese restaurant - and sometimes I like to watch them. It is quite a big pond in fact.


This photo of Mandarin Restaurant is courtesy of TripAdvisor and is from another Mandarin, but the pond is very similar and stretches under the entry way coming out the other side. I assume, but don't know, they have professional people to come and maintain it.

At one time I wanted a koi pond, used to know someone who had one on their property and the fish survived even in winter which is surprising. Mind  you this was in North Carolina. Don't think it would work in Canada. We were supposed to be joining our friends there for lunch next week, but they were in a car accident on Friday so are out of commission for a while. Not badly hurt I gather, thank goodness, but the car was totalled.

Today is, of course, is Thanksgiving in Canada. We did our celebration, just the two of us, on Saturday by eating our Easy Carve Stuffed Turkey Breast. I do miss being able to buy turkey breasts cheaply, which I could in North Carolina, but as we don't travel any more, I am out of luck. However, the one I cooked was quite enjoyable and I have another waiting for Christmas. We had a nice Pinot Grigio with it - made a change as we normally drink a red wine on a Saturday. I miss the good times we used to have in NC when I would cook a turkey and all the trimmings and have a whole bunch of friends to dinner. Nowadays entertaining is somewhat beyond me any more.

My friend Ivy, The Happy Whisk, just posted a new video on iTunes in which she was cooking Hungarian hot peppers in her air fryer. Not sure about the heat (spiciness) of what she cooked, think she is tougher than I am, but it did make me think of roasting regular bell peppers. I love roasted peppers pickled but had never thought about doing them this way, thanks Ivy. Must order me some peppers from the grocery store. I don't use my air fryer for as many different things as I could because I am so busy playing with the Instant Pot.

This is a stew I liked the sound of although I might have to change the meat source as Matt isn't too fond of bones of any kind. In fact it could, of course, be done in the Instant Pot.

Asian Beef Stew

This brothy stew is succulent and soothing, but sisters Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley invigorate it
with fish sauce, Asian spices and lemon juice. “We both just love sour flavors,” says Jasmine Hemsley. “It’s our Filipino mum’s influence.”

2 Tbs coconut oil
5 lbs English-cut short ribs
Sea salt Pepper
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 Tbs finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
3 whole star anise pods
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes in juice
2 cups beef stock or broth
4 cups stemmed curly spinach (4 ounces)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the coconut oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, brown the ribs over moderately high heat, turning, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the ribs to a large plate. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the five-spice powder, then add the star anise, carrots, celery and fish sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stock and short ribs to the casserole and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, turning the ribs every hour, until they are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.

Discard the star anise. Stir the spinach and lemon juice into the casserole and season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among serving bowls and garnish with cilantro.

Servings: 4

Author: MELISSA HEMSLEY and JASMINE HEMSLEY
Source: Food & Wine





Have a great day
 

13 comments:

  1. Have a good Thanksgiving 'this fine time of year'! Glad you enjoyed your dinner on Saturday ... turkey sounds good, as too the Pino Griogio ... take care and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Jo!
    Thank you for the shout out.
    I also linked the bell pepper video in the show notes.
    I love the way the bell peppers turn out.
    And that maple syrup adds a bit of yum.
    Though I no longer use salt in my bell peppers.
    But the same idea for any pepper, really works in the air fryer.
    Thank you for the shout out.
    Happy Thanksgiving and gobble gobble.
    PS: Our stuffing wasn't great but the mash was killer.
    PPS: Sorry about not getting the turkey breast.
    That's what my mom enjoys too. Just so simple and small.
    Rather than a whole big honkin' bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK will check out your bell pepper link Ivy, thanks. I actually enjoy a honking great turkey, but not for just the two of us.

      Delete
    2. It is the link in the show notes.
      So stinking easy to make.

      Delete
    3. I have a bunch of bell peppers coming tomorrow Ivy.

      Delete
  3. My children love Thanksgiving for the food and everyone getting together. I don't have a koi pond but I know people who do. The fish survive Pennsylvania winters so they're pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksgiving tends to be a lot bigger in the States Susan. I used to really enjoy it. I think families do a lot of gathering and eating here too but never been invited to partake. Yes, I know they can survive under ice, but here I think the whole pond would freeze solid.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Jo. I don't know about koi but back in the day when I lived in England for a while one of the places I stayed had a small fish pond in the garden and the goldfish survived in a frozen over pond all winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. As I just said, under ice OK, but water in ponds probably would freeze solid here.

      Delete
  5. Koi or just big goldfish do survive here because my friend had fish in her pond...as long as the water has some activity, they go below and can survive. We went to Swiss Chalet and enjoyed their special. Between screwing up my right arm and hubby's right arm out of commission, going out was a good thing. I am glad your friends are ok but it sucks when the car is totaled. I hope they don't feel any aches and pains which can come out a week later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they Birgit, that's interesting, I wouldn't have thought they could do so in this part of the world. Glad you enjoyed your meal at Swiss Chalet. Tried to go there recently but Matt took a dislike to the place. Yes, I was worried about that, they already have bruised chests I gather.

      Delete