Thursday, October 3, 2019

Alzheimer TEACH, Cell Phone, Shopping, Lunch, Octopuses and Fires

I arrived at the Alzheimer offices early this morning and took out my cell phone, not something I use a lot normally. The battery was almost flat so I plugged it into a wall outlet in the meeting room. Today was interesting at the TEACH programme, we all tried to persuade one of our members that she needed help. She feels bogus for asking so doesn't do so. Not sure how you can make someone do that.

After I left the meeting today, I went to the grocery store and was almost there when I realised my phone was still plugged in to the outlet at the ALZ office. This meant I couldn't call the PC Express people to say I was there, or anyone else. I couldn't call ladydog to tell her I was back and so on and so on. Walking is not my best pursuit, helps if I have my walker, but I only had a cane not anticipating having to do any moving around. So, I ploughed upstairs intending to find Customer Service, they have moved it, and then thought I should go collect a parcel from the Post Office. Did that then went back to the store. Quite a walk for me. I asked the girl at the new Starbucks where Customer Service was now, I had forgotten where they had moved it. Another long walk, I groaned so she offered assistance. She phoned PC Express for me and also phoned ladydog. Phew. It had been chucking it down all morning so I arranged to meet ladydog in the underground parking area. She thought it was hilarious that I had forgotten my phone at the ALZ offices.

When I got upstairs I was greeted by a load of cleaned silver sitting on the table, it was my job to put it all back!!! First we did most of the groceries and then ladydog went home after a short visit with me. Had a short visit with Zoey (the dog) too. She is shedding!!! Matt and I then went to Red Lobster for lunch and I ate the Nashville Hot Shrimp plus two helpings of breaded shrimp. Yummy. I could, of course, have had more but three servings was plenty. I was stuffed anyway. We then both were given a Celebration Dessert (Ice cream covered in whipped cream, chocolate ganache and some kind of other ganache) and we brought home some Chocolate Wave Cake, one of which we didn't pay for. Not a bad deal at all. I then went to pick up another package, turned out to be a replacement ink cartridge from HP. Finally, went to pick up my phone. Nobody had noticed it. Home again and I then finished putting away the groceries and the silver. By the time I had finished all this, I was knackered. For supper we just had soup and then some ice cream. That was quite enough work for the day.

Watched an interesting programme about octopuses (I thought it was octopi but apparently not) and how very clever they are. A scientist had an enormous aquarium in his living room with an octopus which they were studying. They discovered, among other things, that octopuses definitely recognise people and this one, which they treated as a pet, used to watch TV with them!! Really.

Right now there is a programme about last year's forest fires and about forest fires in general. Pretty horrifying for those who lived amongst these forests.

Reading this recipe it seems it might be adaptable to an Instant Pot.

Braised Chicken Thighs with Apples and Wild Rice

Erick Harcey, one of Minneapolis’ most celebrated chefs, serves this braised chicken with his
supreme riff on Rice-A-Roni. Tart Granny Smith apples and cider vinegar not only tenderize the chicken thighs but also act as the base for the incredible sauce.

6 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 oz vermicelli, broken into 1 / 2 -inch pieces
4 shallots, minced
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, divided
9 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 cups wild rice (12 ounces)
1 Tbs chicken bouillon powder
5 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
6 Tbs minced chives, divided
3 Tbs chopped parsley
2 Tbs chopped thyme, divided
Kosher salt
Pepper
3 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
3 Granny Smith apples, 2 apples cored and diced, 1 apple halved, cored, and thinly sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups lightly packed baby arugula
2 cups lightly packed watercress
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

1. In a medium saucepan, warm 3 tablespoons oil over moderate heat. Add vermicelli and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vermicelli to a bowl. Add minced shallots and half of garlic to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until just soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vermicelli, 6 cups broth, wild rice, and bouillon, and bring to a boil over high. Cover and simmer over low heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons chives, parsley, and 1 tablespoon thyme; season with salt and pepper.

2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat until shimmering. Add half of chicken to skillet, skin side down, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.

3. Add diced apples, remaining half of garlic, and sliced shallots to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 cups broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then nestle chicken in sauce, skin side up. Transfer skillet to preheated oven, and braise until chicken is cooked through and very tender, about 45 minutes.

4. Remove from oven and place chicken thighs on a plate. Set skillet with sauce over moderate heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cream and remaining 3 tablespoons butter until incorporated. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons chives and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Return chicken, skin side up, to sauce.

5. In a medium bowl, toss together arugula, watercress, sliced apple, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to plate; serve with sauce, salad, and wild rice.

Servings: 6

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day
 

7 comments:

  1. I would panic if I'd forgotten my phone. I also use it to count steps and would miss some.

    Octopus are really smart creatures. I saw a special where one figured out how to unscrew a lid on a glass jar to get the food inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't far off panic Diane.

      Same programme by the sound of it. This one certainly did exactly that.

      Delete
  2. My phone is pretty much glued to me. If I forget it, I'll drop everything to go back for it.

    I have some silver to clean, but ran out of cleaner. I have some in storage I need to get to before it gets pitted. You're probably not shocked to hear I'm behind on things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't us a cell phone as much as most people. Mainly carry it for emergencies Liz, however, I do use it for picking up shopping and also for calling ladydog when she is with Matt neither of which I could do.

      I get behind on silver cleaning too Liz, and I have a lot of it too.

      Delete
  3. I'd be knackered after that day, too. Dang. And no one even noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was in a somewhat unusual place Ivy, on top of a radiator which was at floor level. I was too lazy to unravel the cord LOL.

      Delete