Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Labour Day, Sirloin Steak,

Not much happening round here today although this evening we have fireworks again. Unusual to have fireworks for Labour day.

I don't think I mentioned, but when I went with ladydog to Victoria St. Market I bought another sirloin steak which I cooked for Saturday night. I was quite pleased that it fed Matt and I for three nights, had a bit extra tonight. Obviously I added different sides each night. When it was hot I added garlic butter which was good. Pretty good value for money. I hadn't thought of it before, but I realised they sold thicker sirloin steaks and I could turn that into the London Broil we learned to cook in the States. London Broil is totally different here - never tried it, seems to be a cut of beef rolled and stuffed. Not what we think of as London Broil at all. If and when I get some more sirloin steak I will post the recipe. Think I  may have done so years ago, not sure.

I thought I would like this recipe but on copying it I realised it has grapefruit juice which is a no-no for both Matt and I. Double checking I am not sure that still applies, will check with my pharmacist. They talk about bubbly drinks too, I guess my Sunday fizz would be a good match.

Rice-Noodle Salad with Chicken and Herbs

Bubbly drinks in all their forms, from sparkling wine to fizzy ginger beer, inspire an effervescent
bubble party. Pair them with a cool Vietnamese-style noodle salad tossed in a bright (and fat-free) citrus dressing.

1/2 lb dried rice noodles, about 1/4 inch wide
3/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup plus
1 Tbs asian fish sauce
1/2 lb cabbage, finely shredded (4 cups)
3 large scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 lb cooked chicken, cut into long strips
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped mint
Sriracha, for serving

1. In a bowl, cover the noodles with cold water and let stand until pliable, 25 minutes. Drain. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, until al dente, 1 minute. Drain the noodles in a colander and return them to the pan. Fill the saucepan with cold water and swish the noodles around. Drain and swish the noodles 2 more times. Drain the noodles in the colander, lifting and tossing, until dry.

2. In a small bowl, stir the grapefruit juice with the garlic, sugar and fish sauce until the sugar is dissolved.

3. In a large bowl, toss the rice noodles with the shredded cabbage and scallions. Add the dressing and toss well. Add the chicken, cilantro and mint and toss. Serve right away, passing Sriracha sauce at the table.

Yield: 4 to 6

Make Ahead: The dressing can be refrigerated overnight.

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. I take statins and know about the grapefruit issue. Not a problem since I am no fan of the fruit. But I googled and it appears one has to drink a large amount to suffer side effects, so I don't think the recipe would cause a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Denise, thanks. I used to enjoy grapefruit but haven't had it in years.

      Delete
  2. I always like having food last a few days. Our goal this year is to make prime rib which is something we have never done. Maybe for Thanksgiving.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love prime rib Betty but do be careful not to overcook it.

      Delete