Friday, September 27, 2019

Cramps, Bowling. Sleeping, Exercise Class

For some reason I spent Wednesday night jumping in and out of bed with cramps of one kind or another. Then going to the kitchen for tonic or pickle juice or something. I figure I ended up with about 3 hours sleep. I got up, had breakfast, phoned the person who organises the travel league plus lunch at Red Lobster, and then went back to bed.

One thing, turns out the bowling alley have now organised a team for us from Monday on. Only trouble is, I have a cardiologist appointment at 10:15 but should get back in time, fingers crossed. Can always have lunch at the alley.

I ended up sleeping a fair chunk of the afternoon as well. I think I must have made up for my disturbed night. I have had a few cramp twinges today so I do hope I won't have a rotten night again.

I plan to go to exercise class in the afternoon assuming all is well. Our regular instructor is off to Ireland so I don't know how long she will be away.

This is a recipe I have had for years. It is quite delicious but I haven't cooked it for years either, no idea why.

Chicken Breasts in Island Aromas

1- 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions (4 bulbs)
2 Tbs finely chopped shallots (2 shallots)
2 Tbs chopped fresh mint
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, ground
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup dry sherry
1- 1/2 tsp sugar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
2 sprigs Rosemary
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small pan heat oil over med heat. Add scallions, shallots, 1 tbs mint; saute until softened, 2 - 3 mins. Stir in fennel and ginger. Add orange juice, lemon juice, sherry and 1 tsp sugar; bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, 5 - 10 mins. Set aside

2. Place the defatted, trimmed, chicken skinned side down on board. Make a horizontal slit on thinner, long edge, cutting nearly through to opposite side. Open each breast to form two flaps and sprinkle with zests. Season. Pat closed and place between plastic wrap. Pound to flatten slightly.

3. Place rosemary sprigs on bottom of a baking dish, put chicken on top, season. Pour wine and warm citrus sauce over. Bake uncovered 25 - 30 mins until chicken not pink inside. Transfer to platter and keep warm.  Discard rosemary.

4. Pour sauce into pan, boil, reduce by half. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spoon over chicken and sprinkle with remaining mint.

Servings: 4

Source: Eating Well

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about the cramps. Hope you sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband gets muscle cramps at night sometimes. No rhyme or reason to them but I know it causes him to leave the bed and try to seek comfort on the couch. Can be very painful I am sure. That recipe looks good; am looking for something to make Sunday evening. This could fit the bill.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, tell your hubby to try drinking tonic water or pickle juice. Both are very helpful with cramps.

      It is quite delicious.

      Delete
  3. That stinks about the cramps. You aren't dehydrated, are you? Low on potassium?

    I am so hungry and too lazy to cook, so that chicken is such a tease.

    I hope you feel better and that you make it to bowling on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That never occurred to me Liz. But I don't think so, I drink a lot during the day.

      Pity you don't enjoy cooking. Yes, I feel better but didn't bowl.

      Delete
  4. My husband has occasional bad cramps at night. He gets out of bed and walks around for a while. Chicken looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's lucky walking around does the trick Susan. It is good.

      Just started the Futhark Chronicles.

      Delete