Monday, September 30, 2019

Cooking, Bowling. Il Volo,

I was delighted to discover how to cook both cauliflower, which I had cooked before and broccoli in my Instant Pot. For a number of years I have had to use distilled water for broccoli as the water here, which is softened, gives it a horrid taste, to me anyway. Doing in the IP I just bunged in a 1/2 cup of tap water, added the steamer basket with broccoli florets and turned it on for 0 minutes. Instant Release. It was perfect. Slightly crisp but not like they serve in restaurants which I consider virtually raw. I didn't have to watch it and could get on with something else. I served it straight away and it made my day. Little things please little minds I guess.

Tomorrow (today to you) I get to see my cardiologist. If I don't have to wait long (sometimes it happens) we will then be going bowling. Might have lunch at the alley anyway. Will be bowling with our new team mates whom, for some reason, I don't remember. They did bowl last year I understand.

Whilst writing this I have set Matt up with a DVD of Il Volo and I am also listening and enjoying it in the other room.They are an excellent group. In this DVD Placido Domingo is conducting. 

I think this recipe looks good and yes, I think one could make it in the Instant Pot. We had soup tonight as it was pretty chilly out - I had some cauliflower soup in the freezer which I had to add cheese to - not sure it was meant to be spicy cheese, but tasted good anyway.

White Bean, Fennel, and Italian Sausage Soup with Parmesan Toast Recipe

Pantry staples and a few fresh ingredients combine to make a comforting soup that’s ready to eat in
less than an hour. This one-pot dish was dubbed “a staff favorite” by our test kitchen, and you’ll see why when you serve it. The White Bean, Fennel, and Italian Sausage Soup is colorful and hearty, and the Parmesan Toast adds a little crunch. You can use any kind of white beans, but our test kitchen professionals recommend cannellinis. The recipe also calls for mild Italian sausage, but you can substitute hot Italian sausage for a spicier soup. When the nights start getting colder, the whole family will enjoy coming to the dinner table for this warm and hearty soup. Don’t forget the Parmesan Toasts on the side for dunking. Everyone will be asking for seconds, so hopefully you’ve made enough.

1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion (from 1 medium)
1 cup thinly sliced celery (from about 3 stalks)
1 cup thinly sliced fennel (from 1 small fennel bulb)
3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1/4 cup dry white wine
6 cups chicken stock
2 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
16 (1/4-inch) French baguette slices (from 1 large baguette)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
Chopped fresh rosemary

1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add sausage, and cook, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, leaving 1 tablespoon of drippings with sausage in Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, fennel, garlic, salt, red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add white wine, and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in chicken stock, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.

2. Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Place baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet, and brush 1 side of each piece with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oven.

3. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls; sprinkle with chopped rosemary, and serve with toasts.

Servings: 8

Source: Southern Living

Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. I think we just steam our broccoli in a steamer pot on the stove. It always has a funky smell when cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well cooking it in the Instant Pot is great Alex. No funky smell whilst cooking LOL.

      Delete
  2. The only downside to using my instant pot is that I don't have much counter space, so I store my pot in the basement. As often as I steam broccoli, I'd be running to the basement constantly. The only place I eat out that cooks broccoli to my idea of done-ness (I also don't like it too crispy) is Cheddar's. Their broccoli is delicious.

    Good luck at the cardiologist. I hope all goes well and you make it to bowling on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appliances have to be in the kitchen Liz, otherwise they don't get used. Mine is on the counter. I have other things stored and they don't get used.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I would have broccoli more often if it was that easy. Hope your cardio appointment went well and the bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that easy, have you got your pot? Have you used it?

      Thanks.

      Delete