Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Bowling, Asparagus, Freebie.

Sadly, this was the first day of the Winter League and what happened, I got a stomach upset so we couldn't go. How annoying. Mind you, I'm not even sure we are on a team anyway. I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone to ask.

I opened a jar of my pickled asparagus the other day. Delicious. Then I forgot I had done so and until today I didn't eat any more. Unbelievable. It is really crisp and good, I am very pleased with myself LOL.

Today I got my coupon for a free dessert from Red Lobster. Might go there for lunch Tuesday. Must see if ladydog is free to go with us.

Being a limey, I enjoy lamb so was interested in this dish.

Mediterranean Lamb Casserole

This easy take on Greek comfort food is rich, meaty, and tangy. The strong lamb is balanced by sweet onions and carrots, and rich eggplant that are all set off with the warm spices. Tomatoes and yogurt
give it brightness and the pitas provide texture and toastiness. If you’d like to add a veggie side, try a salad or roasted asparagus or broccoli with lemon zest and olive oil.

2 Tbs olive oil
2 lbs ground lamb
2 cups chopped unpeeled eggplant (from 3/4 lb. eggplant)
1 1/2 cups cups chopped onion (from
1 large [12 oz.] onion)
1 cup chopped carrots (from 2 large [7 oz. total] carrots)
2 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
8 medium garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp.)
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
4 cups unsalted chicken stock
2 cups crumbled pita chips (2 1/2 oz.)
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
2 Tbs thinly sliced fresh mint
1 tsp paprika
Lemon wedges

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in a 12-inch high sided skillet over medium-high. Add lamb; cook, stirring to crumble, until just browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggplant, onion, and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and cinnamon; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, chickpeas, and yogurt. Transfer mixture to a 13- x 9-inch casserole dish; pour stock over mixture. Cover tightly with foil.

2. Bake in preheated oven until mixture is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove foil; bake an additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle with pita chips and feta; continue baking until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with mint and paprika. Serve with lemon wedges.

Servings: 8

Source: My Recipes

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. My son is coming up from Texas this weekend so we are having Greek lamb and pastitsio, his favorites.
    Sorry about the stomach upset. I'm thinking I need to get my flu shot before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What time are you serving Denise? Sounds good.

      Yes, just had a reminder from the pharmacy.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you missed your first day of bowling league.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo,

    Sorry for your upset tummy... I know how much the league means to you, so I hope you both will still be able to join in on the fun.

    Mediterranean lamb should be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next Monday hopefully Michael, thanks.

      It should.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - sorry you missed the game .. and hope things are improving now. The lamb would be delicious - love lamb ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, yes, fine now. Fine by the time bowling was over!! I love lamb too.

      Delete