Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Anniversary, Red Lobster, Lamb's Kidneys, Charcoal,

I was reminded that yesterday was ladydog's 47th wedding anniversary (same as ours). For some reason it was not on my calendar. It is now. We all went to lunch at Red Lobster to use my birthday dessert coupon. ladydog and I both had a new combo, Seafarers Feast. It was delicious although ladydog took the shrimp home with her. So did I, inside me!! Matt had his usual Yucatan Tilapia with Shrimp.


I ordered desserts to go but as our Chocolate Wave Cake comes with ice cream, I said we would eat it in house.- they brought me, what they call a Celebration Sundae which was ice cream covered with piped cream, chocolate ganache and a touch of fruit ganache too. Delicious. Matt was given just the ice cream and chocolate and they gave ladydog one as well. Nice of them. We also got a doggie bag with two chocolate waves which are now in the freezer for Saturday.


ladydog wasn't too happy, she has heard me rave about this ice cream and has been avoiding trying it in case she had to drive all the way to Peterborough. I don't think she was as nutty about it as I am though.

I had been talking about going to the Charcoal Steak House on Thursday as a birthday dinner because my actual birthday is Saturday and we never go out on Saturday evenings. ladydog suggested going there for lunch. Hadn't thought of that.

I finally got round to cooking some of the lamb's kidneys I bought weeks ago. For some reason I kept
forgetting about them. Anyway, this is the recipe I used for supper tonight. It wasn't quite as hot (spicy) as I expected although after I had mixed the ingredients it was supremely hot. It occurred to me, the Victorians were great ones for devilling foods, they would have loved all the spicy hot foods we get today.

Devilled Kidneys

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (pronounced woostersheer)
1 Tbs prepared English mustard (Coleman's)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs tomato purée
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and ground black pepper
2 Tbs butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 lamb's kidneys, skinned, halved and cored
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley to garnish

1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together (including salt and pepper) to make a sauce.

2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the chopped shallot and cook stirring occasionally, until it is softened but not coloured.

3. Stir the kidney halves into the shallots in the pan and cook  over medium high heat for about 3 mins on each side.

4. Pour the sauce over the kidneys and quickly stir so that they become evenly coated. Serve immediately sprinkled with fresh parsley.

Servings: 4

Tips
Note: To remove the cores from the kidneys use sharp kitchen scissors rather than a knife. Much easier.

Source: The Ultimate Hot and Spicy Cookbook

Author Notes
"Devilled" dishes are always hot and spicy. If you have time, mix the spicy ingredients together in advance to give the flavours time to mingle.


Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - have a very happy birthday ... that lunch at the Red Lobster looks good ... while I love devilled kidneys ... so delicious - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, it was good. Yes, delicious.

      Delete
  2. One of these days I must try that wave cake. Haven't been to Red Lobster since my boys were little - and now they are in their 40's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go Denise, they are pretty good and the Chocolate Wave Cake is to die for.

      Delete