Thursday, September 19, 2019

Alzheimer's Society, Groceries, Instant Pot Conversion, Jeopardy,

I had a marvellous morning at the Alzheimer's Society TEACH session today. I met four people who also have spouses suffering from the disease and found I was not the only one. I was also not the only bad tempered witch with a b in front and I felt a whole lot better leaving the course. It is a tragic situation to be in, you basically lose your spouse and the person you married before they have left you physically. We are all learning to cope with what is going on in our marriages. We are all upset with the basic loss of our partners. Although one is aware that this is so, meeting others in the same sinking boat is actually a joyous experience. I am not the only one. I am sure the others felt the same. ladydog was my saviour today by spending the time with Matt but he has since informed me, in no uncertain terms that he does not need a babysitter. Actually, he does. One never knows what may happen. Today he wouldn't talk to me when I got back because he said he didn't know where I was. I told him that I had informed him several times and apparently ladydog did so as well but, of course, he doesn't remember us doing so.

I also picked up my groceries on the way home and ladydog helped me bring them upstairs. Nice of her. She is a godsend of a friend.

After lunch I realised I hadn't received the chicken thighs I had ordered (turns out they only had packets which were out of date tomorrow. In fact it wouldn't have mattered, they would either have been frozen straight away, or cooked tonight).  Anyway, I went to Victoria St. Market and got some
there. They were huge. I think they were ostrich thighs, not chicken. Anyway, I cooked the Miracle Mango Salsa Chicken which I posted yesterday, and it turned out very well. I started browning the thighs in the Instant Pot but decided it was taking too long so put the remainder in a fry pan and browned them that way. I then deglazed the pot with a little wine. Added the rice and water together with the Mango Salsa, stirred everything, put in the browned chicken and set it for 10 minutes. I did a 10 minute natural release and worried if it would all work. Turned out brilliantly and I have enough left for two nights more I think with such huge chicken thighs. It was delicious.

We were a tad late, but I made it to Jeopardy, there is another excellent champion named Jason Zuffranieri who is up at the $300 thousand level. He is much more unassuming than James Holzhaur  but seems to be doing just as well. I am certainly rooting for him. Turns out Alex Trebek, the host, is not doing too well with his cancer and has to go for more chemo. The show will not be the same without him.

Well, my Instant Pot Version of the Miracle Mango Salsa Chicken is my recipe today.

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad you talked with other people who are dealing with the same thing. You are not the B word at all but just human. Unless you experience it personally, no one truly knows the hell the care giver goes through. My mom said the same thing regarding not needing a babysitter. But they do need one for sure. It’s so hard to see your loved one disappear yet they are still there in a physical sense. The grieving of loss is horrible, I am sorry for not visiting as much..my hubby has had shoulder surgery and I am dealing with health issues which suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good interacting with others. Nice people too Birgit. ladydog and I need to come up with a reason for her being there next time. As she said, like cleaning the silver. He actually doesn't need a babysitter yet, but who knows when he might.

      Sorry about the health problems for both you and your hubby. Wishing you both all the best.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you went to that meeting. You certainly aren't alone.
    Write it down for Matt. Have a special notepad that's just for that reason. Then you have proof. (And maybe he'll actually see it wandering around the apartment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too Alex, I felt so good when I left.

      Good idea, I was kind of thinking along those lines. He doesn't do much wandering these days, "it huuuurts".

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of cleaning the silver. I used to tell my grandpa I needed help with my electric. He was an electrician by trade, so I'd ask him how to switch from 110 to 220 and I'd take notes. He could talk shop for hours and enjoyed it. And it made him feel like he was being helpful which is important to a guy who spent years taking care of his family.

    (On the upside, my husband used those notes to actually wire the 220 in our house- win/win!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Liz and I'm glad it had a side benefit. Not that Matt will be involved but so long as he believes that's what she's there for, maybe it will work.

      Delete
  4. That is sad about Matt's diagnosis. I am glad you are finding out what is available for you for support out there. I think it is vital for any situation like this to have the support of others who are walking the same path. Another blog I follow just had her husband diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Such a sad illness. https://www.lganhouraway.com/ If you are interested in checking out her blog.

    That is sad about Alex Trebak. Pancreatic cancer is not a "kind" cancer though there truly isn't any "kind" cancer out there. Hoping his treatment will prove effective long term.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad Betty. One of the worst things for him was having his driver's license taken away. He still doesn't really understand why. Yes, I will check out the other blog.

      It is sad about Alex Trebek. The programme won't be the same without him if anything does go wrong. Here's hoping it won't.

      Delete
  5. Dementia is a horrible thing and I feel for you and Matt. Trying to cope with it can be so exhausting. I used to go and sit with my mother so my Dad could get a break and that was difficult enough. Living with it day in must be so draining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Helen, it is. ladydog sat with Matt as I said and it was so nice of her to do that for me. Next week the cleaner will be here, and then we are going to pretend the following week that ladydog is here to do the silver for me again. Hopefully that will be accepted. Sorry your parents had to go through this too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - it must have been a relief to have met with the group, the counsellor and like-minded sufferers ... and to know you have people to 'tap into' ... I'm so pleased you made the decision to attend. All the best with the interaction.

    Poor Matt - more importantly poor you ... but wonderful LadyDog is being so helpful ... as too the cleaner. Take care - the chicken sounds delicious ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Hilary, it was a relief. I couldn't have done this without ladydog though. The chicken was delicious.

      Delete