Monday, July 29, 2019

Lamb, Corn, Mousse,

I did lamb chops in the Instant Pot again, they were absolutely delicious. However, Matt isn't too happy with bones so I am going to see if I can slice up the leg of lamb I have in the freezer to make "steaks" which I could cook the same way.. I just learned something - I had always understood a gigot of lamb was sliced leg, but it appears it is actually the whole leg of lamb. Taken me around 65 years to learn that.

Don't tell ladydog, but I bought a couple of ears of local corn when I was at the Victoria St. Market on Saturday. I know she wouldn't approve because, being able to get corn right from the farm, she wouldn't think it was fresh enough. However, it was delicious just the same. I cook mine in the microwave, in the husks, for 3 minutes and they come out perfectly. Matt doesn't like corn unless it's done on the barbecue so I hogged them to myself. I don't put butter on them, better for me and they taste very good just plain. Actually, I tasted a kernel which hadn't been cooked the other day and it was delicious, which made me wonder why we cook them anyway. If you try them in the microwave, chop off the stalk end so the cob shows. When you remove the corn from the microwave, shake it by the end with the silk and everything comes off clean.

Sunday evening I made this dessert. I had some goat cheese left over from the tomatoes the other day so Googled and this is what I found. I didn't have any blueberries so I used strawberries. The desserts were pronounced delicious by both of us. I did the strawberries at the last minute as I hadn't realised they needed cooking. Once finished I put them in the freezer for about half an hour or so until they were good and cold - not frozen of course. We have two more of these for dessert tomorrow. It's no wonder I am gaining weight what with corn and this mousse.







Goat Cheese Mousse

1/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs sugar
8 oz Greek full fat yogurt
4 oz Goat cheese
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Blueberry Compote:
1 pint blueberries
1 Tbs sugar
Zest of one lemon
pinch of salt

1. Make the blueberry compote by adding the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and salt to a pot.  Cook on medium low heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.  The blueberries should be a bit soft but still maintain their shape.  Allow to cool slightly and refrigerate for at least half an hour.

2. Make the mousse by whipping together the heavy cream and sugar, either with a stand or hand mixer.  Beat in the yogurt, goat cheese, vanilla and salt.  Pour evenly into four 8 oz. jars or glasses and refrigerate for about an hour to firm up. When ready to serve, top each with an equal amount of the blueberry compote.

Servings: 4

Source: The Hungry Couple

Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried cooking my corn in the microwave. I'm intrigued by it...less husking for me. Everyone could husk their own as they eat them. That sounds like a delicious dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should Liz. As you say, so easy for everyone to husk their own. The dessert was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Love microwaved corn. So easy. The dessert sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Denise. It was, and also easy to prepare.

      Delete
  3. Slather on th butter for me! I love butter which is one of my downfalls but one I will never give up:). I love corn but if I eat more than 2, I end up at the toilette...corn doesn’t like me. This dessert I am marking down and will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love butter too Birgit, but try and control my intake. I only eat one corn at a sitting. The dessert is great. Had the second one last night. Still good.

      Delete