Wednesday, July 10, 2019

DVD Player, Reading, Groceries,

I mentioned that I had received a copy of Brigadoon but that it wouldn't play. It finally penetrated to my someone cloudy mind that the DVD Player has somehow lost it's setting (which I plugged in a while back) allowing it to play all regions, i.e. Europe and North America. So, now I have to get a number from Philips to set it all up again. To check this I tried two other DVDs which are region 2 and they wouldn't play either. Took me a while to figure it out.  Hopefully they will answer fairly quickly.

Typically, I forced myself not to read last night but to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Around 5 I had to get up and then could not get back to sleep. Might just as well have stayed up reading.

Went with Community Support to get my groceries this aft. It is a great help to have someone to bring it upstairs for me. They must wonder sometimes when they come in and see Matt sitting there. I racked up a few points today with specials but for the second time they made a mistake about the frozen shrimp I bought (oh for the days in NC when we got fresh shrimp off the boats). Now I have to go in tomorrow and sort it out. Planning to bowl in the afternoon, sort out afterwards.

Haven't had Chicken Satay in a while, Matt used to make it but a much simpler version. Will have to see if I can find the recipe he used, got a feeling his recipe used peanut butter. Meanwhile ...

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

These deliciously spiced grilled chicken skewers are perfect with a sweet-and-tangy peanut sauce

SATAY
3 plump lemongrass stalks—bottom 8 inches only, outer layer removed, stalk cut into 2-inch lengths
2 large shallots, coarsely chopped
2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbs ground coriander
1 Tbs ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 Tbs Asian fish sauce
1 1/2 Tbs kosher salt
2 Tbs canola oil, plus more for grilling
4 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces

PEANUT SAUCE
1/4 cup canola oil
4 medium shallots, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 plump lemongrass stalk—bottom
8 inches only, outer layer removed, stalk cut into 2-inch lengths
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tbs light brown sugar
3 Tbs fresh lime juice
2 Tbs Asian fish sauce
1 Tbs soy sauce
pinch of crushed red pepper

1. Prepare the satay

2. In a food processor, combine the lemongrass, shallots, garlic, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, turmeric, fish sauce, salt and the 2 tablespoons of canola oil and process to a paste. Transfer the marinade to a bowl and add the chicken, gently tossing to coat each piece. Thread the coated chicken pieces onto 12-inch skewers and refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.

3. Mmeanwhile, prepare the peanut sauce

4. In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, jalapeño and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the aromatics are softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a food processor. Add all of the remaining ingredients along with 1/2 cup of water and process until a smooth paste forms.

5. Scrape the peanut paste back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until very thick and the fat separates, about 20 minutes. The peanut sauce will turn a deeper shade of brown. Whisk in 1/2 cup of hot water until incorporated. Keep the peanut sauce warm over very low heat.

6. Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the chicken skewers over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with the peanut sauce.

Servings: 8

Tips
The peanut sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Rewarm before serving, adding a few tablespoons of hot water if it’s too thick.

Source: Food & Wine



Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have people to help with the groceries. I'm sure they understand why Matt isn't carrying. Good luck bowling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great to have someone bring them upstairs which is the hardest job Liz. Thanks, I need it.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the DVD player ... while the shrimp is a pain - still I'm sure that can be sorted out. Yes re the help with groceries ... love the sound of the Chicken Satay ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Yes, I can sort it out but have to go back to the store to do so. I love Chicken Satay.

      Delete
  3. Let them wonder about Matt...
    Glad I've never had to mess with the region settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually explain beforehand.
      It's pretty easy actually Alex, so long as you have the code. I should have written it down but didn't know it could be "wiped" out.

      Delete
  4. I hate when something changes on the CD or DVD player because I have no clue how to fix it and neither does my hubby. He is excellent in fixing the house, from electrical to plumbing, construction and gardening but when it comes to electronics? Well, considering our computer was destroyed by my hubby, that should say something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a bit the same Birgit. He once figured to fix a noisy fan in my PC by spraying it with WD40 (I think) that was the end of that. Although he apprenticed as an electrician many years ago, he has never had a clue about electronics.

      Delete