Thursday, July 11, 2019

Bowling, Overheating, Crabfest,

Went bowling Wednesday afternoon again. Once we got into the alley, Matt kept telling me he wouldn't be bowling. Once we started, guess what, he started bowling and played all three games. Both of us increased our scores slightly each game. Considering we haven't really bowled more than half a dozen games since I went into hospital, we aren't doing too badly. I didn't win the 50/50 today. Boo hoo. Yes, greedy.

The temps were pretty high today, supposed to go to 31°C. I popped into the grocery to collect my shrimp and then into the liquor store. The car's A/C didn't seem to be doing a lot although of course the car was extremely hot from sitting outside the bowling alley. Got back home and dropped Matt off at the front door and then went into the underground garage. I had put my walker into my trunk as I had found out they were supposed to be cleaning the garage. Should have moved my car out a day or so ago, however, I then had to heave the damned thing out of the trunk, get the shopping and hi tail it upstairs. I started putting things away, and beginning supper and suddenly felt faint. Went and lay back on my lounger. Heart pumping away like mad. Sweating badly. I figure I was overheated. After a while, near the A/C, I began to feel better. In the end got Matt to make me a sandwich which helped. He thought we were going to have to send for an ambulance, but it was OK in the end. Bit silly of me to overdo it although I felt pretty good when I started. Thinking about it, I remember having heat problems when I was a youngster and having to lie down. Guess I will have to be more careful.

Tomorrow, taking the car in and ladydog is picking us up to go to Crabfest at the Red Lobster. Really looking forward to it.  Love crab as does ladydog. Matt does too but has always been too lazy to pick at the legs. He will no doubt have his favourite, Yucatan Tilapia with Shrimp. Another new thing for me, Bairdi Crab, never heard of it before. Looks very much like King Crab to me. Just Googled it "Chionoecetes bairdi is a species of snow crab, alternatively known as bairdi crab and tanner crab. C. bairdi is closely related to Chionoecetes opilio, and it can be difficult to distinguish C. opilio from C. bairdi. Both species are found in the Bering Sea and are sold commercially under the name "Snow crab". I thought it looked similar.

We've had a few fresh local strawberries this  year, but this  recipe is somewhat different. It also includes yet another cheese I have never heard of. I must be getting behind the times.

Grilled Strawberry-Avocado Toasts with Burrata

These hulking avocado toasts with strawberries and creamy burrata are a great early summer lunch
or, cut into thick slices, a crowd-pleasing appetizer. Be sure to use a quality balsamic vinegar here

6 scallions
2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 Hass avocado—peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Kosher salt Black pepper
4 1-inch-thick slices of rustic bread
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
1 garlic clove
8 oz burrata, cut into bite-size pieces
Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
Flaky sea salt and torn basil, for garnish

1. Light a grill. Grill the scallions over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, 3 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool, then cut into 1-inch lengths. Leave the grill on.

2. In a medium bowl, mix the scallions with the strawberries, avocado, lemon juice and crushed red pepper. Season with kosher salt and black pepper and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, brush the bread with olive oil and grill over  high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and rub with the garlic clove. Top with the burrata and the strawberry salad. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with flaky sea salt and torn basil; serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day

4 comments:

  1. When I was a baby, I suffered heat stroke and my mother always swore that made me susceptible to the heat. I haven't ever had much trouble, though I get red as a beet and people often ask me if I'm all right when I am in the heat.

    Have fun at Red Lobster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky you don't get much trouble Liz, but you know to be careful at least.

      Thanks, I will. Been thinking of you a lot because of all the sharks swimming off the east coast. At least your vacation is over.

      Delete
  2. You definitely need to watch the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny I didn't have any problems when I lived in NC Alex. Mind you I was somewhat younger.

      Delete