Thursday, June 13, 2019

Quiet Day, Costco,

I can't believe it, we didn't do much of anything today. Mostly I sat around reading. I did use the remaining sauce from the Butter Chicken to make a shrimp over rice dish which was pretty good. The sauce is good just on its own.

I wanted to go to our local Costco and get a roast of lamb and maybe some lamb chops and such. Nobody seems to be a member any more, so in the end I renewed my membership. I let it lapse because, as you know, they are huge warehouses, and I couldn't walk from one end to the other. However, these days I think I can manage it. Maybe I will arrange a ride though. I can get all kinds of goods from Costco online without being a member, but for things like lamb, I have to go to the store. I have always liked their meats anyway.

Here's a  simple enough little asparagus dish but it looks pretty good. I must confess that this year I haven't done much with asparagus other than pickling and canning and today I froze a bunch. But as for recipes, just haven't had the time or energy I'm afraid. Pity, because some of the recipes I love.

Grilled Asparagus and Tomatoes in a Kalamata Olive and Feta Vinaigrette

Charr grilled asparagus topped with juicy tomatoes in a salty and tart kalamata olive and feta dressing.

1 1/2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
1 Tbs oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups tomato, sliced
1/4 cup kalamata olive and feta dressing

1. Toss the asparagus spears in the oil, salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat until crisp-tender and slightly charred.

2. Serve topped with the tomatoes and the kalamata olive and feta dressing and enjoy!

Servings: 4

Author: Kevyn Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. I did not know you could buy from Costco online without being a member. I did get an email from them about food delivery being available, but I never actually read it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't really do food delivery here Denise although I was surprised to see meats like boar and kangaroo were available for delivery. But yes, anything which won't perish. I buy all my vitamins and such from there - free delivery too.

      Delete
  2. We have a Sam's Club, but we never used it enough. Haven't been in there in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used Sam's Club in New Bern Alex, but I think we always went with someone who was a member. Not sure now. I used to love it. They opened one close by here but they closed because, I think, Costco was too well established. Pity really but expensive to be a member of both.

      Delete
  3. Jo, they usually have those little electric carts for folks who need to get around with some aid. Have you called Costco to see if they have them? That would solve the "warehouse" problem for you! Love this recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa is right. When I broke my leg and had to be non-weight bearing, I used the electric cart to shop at Costco.

      Delete
    2. No I haven't checked Lisa, I kind of remembered that they do have them tho'. I have asked for a ride so I can have help getting the stuff and then bringing what I buy into the apartment. When did you break your leg Denise?

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - those box shops are so large aren't they ... I hope you can work out and get to where you need to easily. Lamb sounds delicious, while that asparagus delicious totally bewitches me - got some today ... cheers and hope things continue to improve - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, you call them box shops Hilary? I think I can arrange it OK. I do have access to local grown lamb, but don't have a house to mortgage any more!! Wish you could get your asparagus from a farm Hilary, it is so much better.

      Delete