Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Hospital, Driver, Shopping, Salve, Caesar Salad, Old Age, Driver's License,

So, we left here at 9:15 to go to the hospital to see the anaesthetist. I had told the CSC that we would be an hour. Once we got signed in, etc. etc. I discovered it was a 2 hour appointment. Like, they couldn't have mentioned that before? I phoned the driver to let him know and then we settled down to wait, or I did. Matt is not good at waiting any more. He gets very upset. I explained about him getting panic attacks and I think they pushed him along. We were already half an hour or so overdue anyway. He had all kinds of tests done, ECGs, bloodwork, and so on. Then we had a long talk with the nurse who did all that testing. We then had to wait to see the anaesthetist - but not too long. She chatted to us both although I don't think Matt understood half of it. We discussed whether he should have a spinal or a complete anaesthetic. I said complete, but thinking about it, maybe spinal would be OK. Will talk about it again on Monday. At the termination of the conversation the anaesthetist said I looked tired and, as the prime caregiver, I should look after myself. She also said, not to worry myself about housework, however, I explained that I have a cleaner from CSC which she was pleased to hear. Finally, we were told we could go home and then the driver couldn't come for at least half an hour. Not his fault, he had been told we would be over and done with in an hour. Matt was not too happy with this guy, he had a tendency to drive one handed and on the way home he was waving both hands in the air. Uuuuumm!!!  Whilst waiting I had a coffee and donut. Not Matt. It was compliments of CARP (like AARP) when I renewed my membership, they sent  me a Tim Horton's card. I have a whole 39 cents left. I also discovered the hospital has a Subway there too, might have a sub for lunch next week. We will be there at 9:15 and, as I understand it, will probably not be out of there before 3 at least. I also discovered the hospital have doubled their parking fees. Thank goodness for CSC although not sure if  they can handle our Monday trip - will phone them tomorrow. Wednesday.

Finally got home safely, despite the hand waving, I couldn't wait to get some lunch even though I had eaten a donut.

After lunch I went down to collect some groceries, they couldn't supply a driver for that this afternoon so I will do two small shops this week. Actually, I am not sure I don't prefer it and Matt managed to take the groceries upstairs so that was OK.

Forgot to mention, ladydog had popped in whilst we were out and left me some Cann Salve (Cannabis) which her son had developed (he works in forestry etc.) specifically for her headaches. I think he is on to something. Seemed to help my arthritic hands not to mention my aching neck. My back was bad today, maybe I should have tried it for that. In fact I ended up wearing the support belt we bought for Matt and which he has never used, it actually helped quite a lot. Lovely getting old!!!

Finished our Cauli Cheese for supper and I also made a Caesar Salad. Haven't made one in years for some reason. Matt especially seemed to enjoy it. Have lots of dressing and more Romaine so will have to make more tomorrow.

Got it nagging at the back of my mind that there was something else I was going to talk about, but can't think what it was. Another symptom of getting old. Need to get my ear trumpet out as well LOL. Oh, just went down to the mail and lo and behold, my proper driver's license. I am now all set til my birthday in 2021.

One certainly sees some incredible sights in the hospital. Sitting there waiting for the driver to pick us up, I couldn't believe some of the people we saw. One woman I felt very sorry for, she was wheeling herself around and was so huge she literally overflowed her chair. One of the volunteers tried to help her and she seemed to snap at him.

Made a start on canning some pickled asparagus. Got as far as making the brine. Cleaner will be here in the morning so probably won't achieve a lot.

One of these days I must shell out for some lobster and try this recipe, I have had it for a year or two but lobster isn't regularly on my menu LOL. I just realised it says to cook asparagus about 10 minutes. I never cook mine longer than 4 and it is perfectly done. Never seen fresh chervil either. In fact, not a herb with which I am very familiar. Think I have dried.

Asparagus and Lobster Crêpes with Fines Herbes Hollandaise Sauce

1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed
Cooked meat of 1 large lobster, or 2 lobster tails (about 1 1/2 lbs lobster before cooking)
sprinkling of salt plus 1/2 tsp.

Fines Herbes Hollandaise

2 Tbs white wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened and cubed
2 Tbs lemon juice
white pepper to taste
1 Tbs fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 Tbs fresh chives, finely chopped
1 Tbs fresh chervil, finely chopped.

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.

2. In a large pot, steam or boil asparagus until just tender, about 10 mins, cool under cold water, drain and set aside.

3. Coarsely chop cooked lobster, set aside

4. Prepare crêpes.

5. Divide the asparagus into 8 separate bundles. Place a bundle in each of 8 crêpes, sprinkle with salt and roll to enclose. Place asparagus in a glass baking dish, top with lobster and cover with foil. Just before serving, and no sooner, place in heated oven for 15 mins to warm through.

6. In a small saucepan over medium high heat reduce (boil) vinegar, water and 1/2 tsp salt until approximately 3 tbs remains, remove from heat.

7. Lower heat to medium-low, add yolks to pan and return to heat, whisking constantly until foamy and lightly thickened. Make sure not to scramble eggs; if the eggs begin to cook too quickly pull off the heat and whisk vigorously to cool slightly before continuing.

8. Begin to whisk butter into pan 1 cube at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated, whisk in lemon juice, white pepper and fresh herbs. Use immediately.

9. Place two asparagus crêpes on each plate and top each with some of the warmed lobster. Spoon hollandaise overtop, serve immediately

Servings: 4

Source
Source: Food and Drink Spring 2010

Author Notes
If preparing this for a dinner party, the asparagus, lobster, crêpes and vinegar reduction can all be prepared beforehand so that the only thing left to prepare is the hollandaise. Make sure to use a good quality butter so that the hollandaise has great flavour.

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. I sympathise with your long hospital visit. Every time we go to the doctor - and we see so many these days - it always takes much longer than we expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad enough Helen, if only they had warned us. We had no idea we were going to be there that long. I know what you mean about seeing so many doctors.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - well things seem to be ticking along - I'm just pleased to see you're coping; and also getting some help along the way ... take care and have a more peaceful week ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ticking, maybe Hilary. I have had a CSC cleaner for a couple of years or so now, she comes twice a month. Full of back chat too.

      Still got to have my tooth socket checked tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Glad you guys got through it.
    I hate it when people don't have hands on wheel. Except to shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So were we Alex.

      I know, I thought about reporting it, after all, he is a professional driver, not one of the volunteers.

      Delete
  4. Those crepes look amazing, if only shellfish wasn't my kryptonite. Hospitals, we need them, but golly they can be a chore. Glad you're there and back okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shellfish David, what a great pity. You are right about hospitals. Another visit on Monday for Matt though.

      Delete
  5. Oh boy you had quite the day and it's easy for the nurse to say to take it easy but she is not living your life. I am glad you get some help. Thankfully the tests are done and you can move forward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we just Birgit. It is easy for the doctor to say take it easy, but easier said than done. Monday is the operation.

      Delete