Thursday, June 27, 2019

Boring Day,

I really don't have much to write about today. Been feeling exhausted, didn't get up til almost 8 a.m. and had a long nap in the afternoon. Do I need more blood or is it just late nights?

One thing I did today was to try kohlabi. I'm not sure whether I have had it before. We do have a similar vegetable in the UK but a relation not an exact twin. Anyway, I quite liked it although it was difficult (thought of another phrase but refrained) to peel. It has a very delicate taste. Matt said it was tasteless so if I get it again, doubtful, but if, I will probably use it in my salads.

I made Sesame Chicken in the Instant Pot for supper. This is the second time I have made it, but I'm not sure what went wrong this time. I did an Instant Release as instructed and it blew sauce all over the place. What a mess. I have no idea why this happened. Maybe Six Sisters will know.

INSTANT POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbs vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional - doesn't really add heat, just adds more flavor)
4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds

1. Place your chicken in the bottom of the Instant Pot.

2. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and put your Instant Pot Lid on and seal.

3. Cook on the Meat setting for 20 minutes and then quick release once the 20 minutes is up. Remove chicken from pot, leave sauce.

4. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and pour into your Instant Pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Push the Saute button and cook sauce for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

5. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.

6. You can also sprinkle more red pepper flakes on top if you want more heat.

7. I removed my Honey Sesame Chicken from the Instant Pot and put in a bowl and cooked my rice in my Instant Pot.

8. To make rice in your Instant Pot you need to have the same ratio rice as you do water.

9. I used 2 cups of Brown Jasmine Rice.

10. To make it: Rinse and drain 2 cups of rice and dump it into your Instant Pot. Add 2 cups of water. Seal your instant pot with the lid and push the Rice button. It will cook for 10 minutes then quick release. You will have PERFECT rice!

Servings: 4

Source: Six Sisters Stuff

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. Every time I try to make something with a sauce in my instant pot, I quickly get the burn warning. I'm not sure what I'd doing wrong.

    The sesame chicken sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a try.

    Hope you're feeling better. My neighbor had to keep getting blood transfusions because she had an untreatable bleeding ulcer. She would also get tired once her blood levels dropped too low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are getting the burn message, I think it means you don't have enough liquid in your pot. You need at least a cup if not more depending what size your IP is. It is delicious, but don't rely on the Instant Release. Better to do a Timed one.

      I have a feeling mine have dropped too low as well Liz although I am on iron pills now. Will have to get it checked.

      Delete
  2. I love kohlrabi and my mom used to make it for me. She was peel it, slice it like big french fries and boil it like a potato. She would add butter and parsley along with salt and pepper...sooo good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. I boiled it like a potato too Birgit. Also, had a sauce from the chicken which made the Kohlrabi taste even better.

      Delete