Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday Recipe

Saturday, I am going to prepare Iscas which is a Portuguese liver dish. I have to say I never liked liver until we found this recipe. Only thing is, haven't had it in a while, first because Matt used to make it and second because I eventually forgot about it until I knew I was anaemic and figured it was a good dish to eat. So, here is the recipe. Oops, I had forgotten the bacon, think I have enough. I will be serving it with sauté potatoes done in the air fryer. Not sure what else. Wish me luck.

Iscas

 

Marinated Liver and Bacon bits in a Red-wine sauce. “Iscas” is best served warm, accompanied by Portuguese fried potatoes. 

Ingredients: 

• ¼ pint dry red wineIscas
• 1 ½ tbs. red-wine vinegar
• 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
• ½ bay leaf, crumbled
• ½ tsp. salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 1 lb. calf’s or ox liver, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
• 2 ½ tbs. olive oil
• 3 rashers of bacon, coarsely chopped
• 2 tbs. finely chopped parsley 

Method: 
1. Put the wine, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, salt and a few grindings of pepper into a glass bowl. Add the liver, turning the slices with a spoon until they are evenly coated. Marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours. 
2. Heat the olive oil over a moderate heat in a large, heavy frying pan. Add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp. Drain on a double thickness of kitchen paper. 
3. Remove the slices of liver from the marinade and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Reserve the marinade. 
4. Heat the bacon fat in the pan until it splutters. Add the liver and cook the slices about 2 minutes on each side, regulating the heat so that they brown quickly and evenly without burning. Remove the liver to a heated dish. 
5. Quickly pour the reserved marinade into the pan and boil it uncovered over a high heat until it has reduced to about half, meanwhile scrapping in any browned bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan. Taste for seasoning. 
6. Scatter the bacon pieces over the liver, pour the sauce over it and sprinkle with parsley and serve at once. 
(serves 4) 
Time Life

Have a great day

4 comments:

  1. For me, liver is like kale or cilantro. No miracles can make me like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same Denise, until we found this recipe which I enjoy. Pity you can't pop over and try some. I appreciate it's not worth making it for one - especially if you end up not liking it. But it really takes away the liver taste.

      Delete
  2. The only kind of liver I like is fois gras. But my mother loves beef liver and I think she'd like this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be surprised Lisa, this honestly is delicious and I don't like liver. Never had fois gras, the paté but not the actual liver.

      Delete