Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Mandarin, Rides, Hail, Fall, Shopping, Crane Crash,

I'm still stuffed and I don't know why. OK I eat a lot at Mandarin, but it is usually dealt with by late afternoon if  not before.  Thoroughly enjoyed lunching there though, a while since we have been, and nice of ladydog to join us even if she did forget my repaired steamer basket.

This morning I phoned the Internal Medicine bunch who finally found my results and said my test showed negative for blood. I told them. They then decided I had better come in and see the doctor!!! So wanted me in tomorrow lunchtime (of course). No could do, can't get a ride that quickly. So am going to see them on Thursday, also at lunchtime. Actually, ladydog came up with the thought that they leave that time vacant in case they need to shove someone in, seems logical.  Ladydog was going to offer to take me, but much better for me to get a ride than for her to come all the way into town just to take me a short ride. The ride costs me less than the parking would too plus I can't walk from the parking (always assuming I can find a wheelchair spot) into the hospital. A ride is door to door. Wednesday, I have another doctor appointment at an office I have only been to once, someone else took us, so I have to try and remember where the heck it is and how to get there.

So, anyway, after lunch we went to the bowling alley. However, Matt threw one ball and decided he couldn't do it. I ended up playing on my own. Didn't do too badly but quit before the end of the second game as Matt seemed to be getting a bit edgy and my legs were beginning to hurt. Next week is the end of season banquet. The younger owner came over and invited us to join them. Particularly as we played 8 weeks of the season before I ended up in hospital. Our team, The Dragons, was at #1 when we left and it is still at #1. Another couple returned after we left and played for 16 weeks but then he broke his leg. The owner said we did a lot to help the team win so he was going to divide part of the prize money between us and the other couple who had to quit. Nice of him.

It was also nice to see everyone today, been a while since we saw our league although we have seen some of them at times other than Mondays. We then went to leave the alley and damn me it was hailing, quite hard and heavy too. Biggish pieces of ice. Then Matt fell in the entryway. No not the hail. He was using  the front door to hang on to, there is a bar there but he didn't use it!!! Two people, just driving off, stopped and came rushing back to help him. Actually, thinking about it, they were workers with the handicapped crowd who bowl, they should have made sure whether Matt could get up on his own. However, we were both grateful. He doesn't seem to have hurt himself, I think he slid down more than actually fell.

Picked up our shopping. Couple of mistakes but not sure if it was theirs or mine, I suspect mine. I wanted some potato chips. Ended up with two huge family sized bags. I shouldn't be eating them anyway LOL. I also ordered tomato juice, the 1.36 L can, I got a small can big enough for two helpings or so. I opened the chips tonight and had to find a chip clip fast. Wanted Matt to hide them but he didn't.

By the way, we saw pictures of the crane crash I mentioned yesterday, it showed the crane actually crashing down. Hadn't realised, two workers were also killed. I wouldn't go up in one of those things for any amount of money, very dangerous.

This would be quite a nice dish to do if you were having guests, either for dinner or just drinks or coffee. Wouldn't be bad if you could get fresh asparagus either!! The farmer said 2 days at 20°C and what do we get, bloody hail. Grrr.

Asparagus and Brie Puff Pastry

Buttery puff pastry, creamy brie, roasted asparagus, and sweet honey all come together in this simple,
asparagus and brie puff pastry. These pastries are great for a Mother's Day brunch

1 Tbs Thyme, fresh leaves
1 Egg
1/4 cup Honey
1 Kosher salt and pepper
1 pinch Red pepper flakes
1 Tbs Olive oil, extra virgin
2 sheets Puff pastry, frozen
8 cut into slices 8 ounces brie
2 Tbs Butter, salted
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and pepper
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
8 oz brie, cut into 8 slices
1 egg, beaten
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs salted butter
1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves

1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Toss together the asparagus, olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. Roll the pastry sheets out on a floured surface and cut into 8 squares. Place a piece of brie on each square and then add a handful of asparagus. Take 2 corners of the pastry and wrap up and over the asparagus to enclose (see above photo). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining squares. Brush each pastry with egg. Transfer to the oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

4. Meanwhile, melt together the honey, butter, and thyme in a small saucepan over low heat.

5. Serve the pastries warm, drizzled with thyme honey and crushed red pepper. Enjoy

Yield: 8 pastries

Source: Half Baked Harvest

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that bowling is becoming so difficult. I know how much you love it.

    I found that video yesterday of the crane coming down. The person who caught it wasn't even a block away. I'm sure that was chilling for him knowing that red light saved his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Hopefully, once they fix my legs it will be OK. Maybe same for Matt.

      Normally we curse red lights so just shows you.

      Delete
  2. Sorry Matt fell, but glad people came to assist. Awesome your team was number one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I'm thrilled about it even though I haven't been on the team for a while.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - yes ... difficult when Matt falls; but am glad you enjoyed the Mandarin; and at least you can still go bowling occasionally and join in with various things. Take care and all the very best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Hilary. Lucky they were there. Yes, Mandarin was good. I am hoping to bowl through the summer season.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  4. The crane falling was just terrible. Glad you got to bowl, and eat at Mandarin. Glad Matt's okay. Falling is not a good idea at any age...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it Lisa, all in a matter of moments. I enjoyed my bowling and over ate at the Mandarin. Luckily this time as I said, he more or less just slithered down.

      Delete
  5. I am completely agree with you, I am an amazing fan of your site, genuine guard post Keep making such stunning post,


    Thanks for sharing.



    Best dermatologist doctor in jaipur



    Regards

    Sameer

    ReplyDelete