Friday, March 22, 2019

The China Syndrome, Wheelies, Medical,

Just watched one of my favourite movies, The China Syndrome with Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon and Michael Douglas. It is about the possibility of a nuclear core being exposed and the explanation of the title is: "China syndrome" is a fanciful term—not intended to be taken literally—that describes a fictional result of a nuclear meltdown, where reactor components melt through their containment structures and into the underlying earth, "all the way to China." If you have never seen this movie it is well worth watching. It was made in 1979 shortly before the Three Mile Island accident - apparently they stopped promoting the film when that accident happened but the mere fact of Three Mile Island promoted the movie anyway. Although the central plot is about a potential nuclear accident, the film is basically about TV reporting. According to the presenters on TV tonight, it is very realistically done. I have talked about this movie before, I always watch it when I get the chance.

Been a busy day for us today, the main thing is Matt having got his "wheelie" it is much snazzier than mine (pout, pout), and the guy who delivered it asked if I had bought mine in a bargain basement. I could get one the same, the goverment pays a large percentage, but we would have to shell out $81 as our insurance wouldn't pay for me to have a second machine and I would still have my current "wheelie".  In fact, the brakes are metal clamps and stick out at the side of the wheels and catch on walls, doors, furniture, you name it. Bit of a pain in the rear end.

Our cleaner phoned about doing some extra time for us as we can't manage some things right now, our blister packs (medication) arrived, right now, I can't remember everything that happened, but it seemed it never stopped. Tomorrow, as far as I know, the only thing due to happen is the therapist will be here in the afternoon. Matt's back has been pretty bad today for some reason. I thought the TENS was doing a good job.

Ordered some shopping today and forgot to get some ice cream. Maybe I shouldn't eat it anyway!! I recently saw a snipped of history about the ice cream manufacturer, Chapman's who make our favourite ice cream. Apparently the place burned down a few years ago. Glad they decided to rebuild, it really is good.

I have always been keen on Irish Coffee. Here is a dessert based on the drink. Yummy.

Irish Affogato 

3/4 oz Irish whiskey
1/2 oz Baileys Irish cream
1 scoop Coffee ice cream
1 1/2 oz Cold-brew coffee

Garnish:
Whipped cream
Chocolate shavings
Glass: Georgian Irish Coffee mug

1. In a Georgian Irish Coffee mug, add all ingredients.

2. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Source: Liquor.com

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. Your wheelie sounds like a pain. I'd save up and get a better one.
    I've seen the movie but it's been a really long time and I don't remember much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it is Alex and I had been thinking along those lines.

      I am surprised you don't remember much of it, I think it is a great movie and Jack Lemmon is especially good in it.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Alex, I'd save and get a new one. Not worth your pain and frustration to have to deal with something that you use so much not working right. I LOVED that movie, too. I'll see if I can find it and watch it again. I remember being the time very well, because of Three Mile Island. Both made a huge impression on me, and to this day, anyone that claims nuclear power is "clean" just gets my dander up. Nothing clean about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it Lisa. Birgit has a good suggestion below. I am so glad you agree about the movie.

      Delete
  3. It's so tough to save for a new wheelie when one is on a basic pension but I wonder if you could get some help. I would call Information Niagara (simply dial 211) and see if there is anything you can do. The China Syndrome is an excellent film and just shows how close real life was to this film. I remember both when the film came out and the 3 Mile island incident. Jack Lemmon was excellent in the role as the man trying to stop what he knows will happen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only have to pay $81 towards it Birgit. Not sure if information Niagara would deal with someone in Kitchener?? Great film wasn't it? Jack Lemmon was brilliant.

      Delete
  4. You deserve a new one. Consider it a quality of life issue. Is there a place you could sell your old one? Might be a buck or two toward the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been thinking about it Liz. Have to get a referral from the doctor so that the therapist can order it. Then have to find someone to buy it, of course.

      Delete