Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Cardiologist's Office,. Recipe Competition, Bowling,

Because I was concerned about where to go for my cardiology appointment, we decided to drive there and "case the joint". Am I ever glad we did. There seems to be miles of road known as The Boardwalk. Not only that lots of traffic islands. Nor could I see any numbers. Eventually spotted a tall glass building with Medical Centre. Pulled into the parking lot and double checked we were in the right spot, drove round a little bit and didn't see a wheelchair parking spot anywhere, called the office and they assure me there are lots, hope there is one free tomorrow.  Looking at the photo, I guess it's not all glass, just the frontage. That parking area in front was chock full today. It took us about 40 minutes to get there. May take a bit less tomorrow although I will not work on that assumption.

I seem to have competition, on The Really Real Housewives of America Liz Seckman is posting recipes for Instant Pot meals today. Sounded good and I am certainly going to make a note of it, despite the competition. Especially as Matt is now eating sweet potatoes after so long of not cooking them at all.

Today we managed to pick up our own groceries although it meant Matt used his cane which he has been told not to. However, he will have to use it when we go to the bowling alley. Talking of which, I have a major crisis I seem to have hurt my right thumb and wrist somehow and if it doesn't get better, I am screwed for bowling. Fingers crossed everybody. No idea what happened but it hurts. Also went to the baker, when I phone them they save 7 Grain buns for me in their freezer and I buy them at half price. Well, they are going straight in my freezer. They had so many saved today, wasn't sure I was going to have room for them, but I managed with less problem than expected.

This sounded interesting although apparently it was originally a chicken recipe. I happen to like prunes although I don't keep them in house. Olives I buy when I need them.

Pork Marbella

We took the classic, beloved Chicken Marbella recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook and made it weeknight-friendly by using quick-cooking pork tenderloin instead. The meat is marinated and then
cooked in those same delicious juices, which get turned into a luscious sweet-and-sour pan sauce.

2 1-lb. pork tenderloins
2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup dry white wine
½ cup pitted prunes, torn in half
? cup (packed) light brown sugar
¼ cup capers, plus 1 Tbsp. caper brine
¼ cup pitted Spanish green olives
¼ cup red wine vinegar
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs dried oregano
¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs unsalted butter
¼ cup chopped parsley

1. Season pork with salt. Let sit 15 minutes while you prepare the marinade.

2. Combine wine, prunes, brown sugar, capers and brine, olives, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and ¼ cup oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, seal tightly, pressing as much air out of bag as possible, and turn to coat. Chill at least 2 hours or up to overnight.

3. Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°. Remove pork from marinade and pat dry; reserve marinade. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high. Cook pork, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 6–8 minutes.

4. Remove pan from heat and let cool 1 minute. Pour reserved marinade over pork. Transfer pan to oven and bake, basting pork once with its sauce halfway through, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of tenderloin registers 145°, 22–26 minutes, depending on thickness.

5. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add butter and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until slightly reduced, 3–5 minutes. Stir in parsley.

6. Slice tenderloin crosswise against the grain. Transfer to a platter and spoon pan sauce over.

Servings: 4

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day

 

6 comments:

  1. Liz is posting recipes as well now?
    That is one huge building. And fancy. Your tax dollars at work.
    Hope you heal in time to bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup she is Alex.
      Isn't it. I guess tax dollars would have been used, never thought of that.
      Thanks, so do I.

      Delete
  2. They never have enough parking spots for wheelchair access and, sometimes, they look farther away than the regular spots. It always seems that they make the medical buildings difficult to map out which is annoying. I hope your thumb and wrist start feeling better soon. I always do something and sprain fingers, wrists, ankles etc... I have no clue how I did it either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Birgit, there wasn't one there this morning. Luckily we managed to find a spot fairly close to the building. I put a bandage round my wrist to give it some support.

      Delete
  3. How funny about you and Liz both posting recipes for Instant pots! I hope all goes well tomorrow at the medical center. And I hope your hand stops hurting. You need to bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have posted recipes on their blog before now and Liz knows I am recently into Instant Pot. Reporting on doc. visit for tomorrow's blog. Yes, I do need to bowl Lisa.

      Delete